What to do with a “CYPRESS”?

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
First of all I am not 100% sure it is a Cypress. You can look at the photos at the end if you want to.

Anyway, I've had this one for just over 3 years. It was grown in a nursery pot. As soon as I took it home I wired the branches and put them into the shape it is today. I re-potted it 2 years later, pruned and re-directed the roots, and put it into this pot. And that's it. I know it's alive because I see the fresh foliage tips every year but I can't really see that the branches have got very much longer. In fact, I can't see any change in it at all! God, the thing is boring! I suppose that I could wire the branches again and give it a more refined design, but I just don't think the tree is very interesting. So what I am asking you (dear, fellow forum member) ……. either give me some idea on how to make it more exciting or come by my house and take it home with you.

Cypress augusti 2013 02.JPG Cypress 01.JPG

Attachments

• Cypress augusti 2013 02.JPG
    Cypress augusti 2013 02.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 3
  • Cypress 01.JPG
    Cypress 01.JPG
    375.1 KB · Views: 3

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice, itll look good with some beef on those lower branches. I'd guess hinoki too, but that's not my territory

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
I haven't pruned the branches except for one that died back so I removed it. I only really pruned the roots. I used standard potting soil and cat sand about 3 parts to 1. I was only experimenting with cat sand back then (to see if I liked it) but the next re-pot will probably be 1 part soil to 3 parts cat sand. I agree it looks "nice" but it's just not "exciting".

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Have to start somewhere. ...go walk around in the woods and look at trees...hinokis don't grow incredibly fast. Keep it watered well in the growing season

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Hinoki unfortunately do not back bud on old wood. Any future growth will be coming from where it is currently green. That said perhaps you could make a literati style tree with subtle movement and nice visual interest.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
Hinoki unfortunately do not back bud on old wood. Any future growth will be coming from where it is currently green.
Ouch! I was afraid of that. I'm sort of screwed then.

That said perhaps you could make a literati style tree with subtle movement and nice visual interest.
Yeah. The problem is I don't know where I'm going to get the movement from. It's rather stout at 82cm. tall and the trunk base is 8cm. thick. I guess I could wedge-cut the trunk in 2 or 3 places and bend it. Are you sure you don't want it? Just come over and take it. :)

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
It might work, I'd try to get opinions and advice from several others before doing anything serious. I made the mistake of slip potting 2 hinoki cypresses in some pumice and DE this early summer. I ended up under-watering the tree and both suffered minor die back. The larger one probably can't be worked as a bonsai anymore, but the smaller one is fine.

You might be able to graft branches though. See if that is a viable option. That can be a potential resolve to place foliage where you want it.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I must say that the wires look very thin, like they are only wrapped around it for decoration :p

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Ouch! I was afraid of that. I'm sort of screwed then.

Graft a branch or two to it as you see fit...

The problem is I don't know where I'm going to get the movement from.

If you look at it closely you could strip away bark from near the top to the bottom in such a fashion it would trick the eye into more movement...

Grimmy

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
You might be able to graft branches though. See if that is a viable option. That can be a potential resolve to place foliage where you want it.
Other than "threading" I've never been very successful in the art of grafting.

I must say that the wires look very thin, like they are only wrapped around it for decoration
That just goes to show how slow-growing the thing is. I put those wires on 3 years ago and they haven't even started to bite into the bark. Thin or not they were good enough to shift the branches into place. They are very supple.

@Nebari
Did you move those branches?

Move em again....there could be a nice design in there.!

Sorce
I don't pay much attention to it normally but sometimes, in calm moments, it catches me off-guard and I do see some potential, yes.

Graft a branch or two to it as you see fit...
Maybe.

If you look at it closely you could strip away bark from near the top to the bottom in such a fashion it would trick the eye into more movement...
I think you're joking with me.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
I think I can see a nice literati in there with about half the branches and crown jinned and some Shari added.
You don't think the trunk is too thick to change styles now, particularly too thick for a literati?

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You don't think the trunk is too thick to change styles now, particularly too thick for a literati?
Well, I can see an image in this tree with jinns, less branches and foliage and some shari that I'm pretty sure I would be happy with. If it would strictly fit into the mould of literati I have no idea really. Of course sitting in front of the tree in real life my views could be entirely different.

wireme

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like sorces suggestion too, put some real movement into branches that appear unusable before removing them, they might work well in different positions. If it was me, I'd probably look at that first before going for the idea I mentioned above.

Random Usr

Chumono
Reaction score
When Spring begins to approach I'll be giving all suggestions some consideration. I'll also be taking notes at Noelanders next month.

Top Bottom