What to do with a JBP.

Asus101

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was given this JBP for Christmas, I think it was a good pick, has nice taper on it, decent low branches.
While i am a black pine newbie, I'm not afraid to admit I am also a bonsai newbie too.

What's the best course of action with this pine?
What reading is recommended?
What would others do style wise in the future?

I cant dig much lower until I can do some sort of root prune, there are feeder roots about 1mm below the top soil. I have included pics of the trunk and entire tree, i hope they are enough.

Its mid summer here, ranging temps from between 25c to 45c (in three days we have had temps above 37 degrees C).

Attachments

• PICT0013.JPG
    PICT0013.JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 40
  • PICT0014.JPG
    PICT0014.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 55
  • PICT0022.JPG
    PICT0022.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 34
  • PICT0023.JPG
    PICT0023.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 17
  • PICT0024.JPG
    PICT0024.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 35
Hmm with temps like that you must be an aussie? If you fill in your profile you will probably get more accurate answers mate!

Looks nice, i cant keep em here though so i hope your answer will come soon.

Asus, what is your minimum winter temp and maximum summer temp?

Now that I think of it, you probably don't have as extreme weather as I do! We will sometimes be in the 40s for three weeks at a time, not a breath of rain, during summer. In winter, well, right now it was -12C this morning but warming up nicely to -6C.

I'd repot this one first. I don't know how long it's been in this pot, but it certainly needs better soil. I, like many others, recommend mesh pots and a very porous soil mix. The JBP loves water but not soggy feet. Do proper root work on the tree.

http://www.bonsaikc.com/articles2.htm

http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/articles.htm

The following year, it would need to be cut back hard, perhaps using one of the branches at the first large whorl as a new leader to start giving it some movement.

Good luck with this one.

Last edited:
winters dont get to the minus's but can be classed as cool winters. JBPs are grown here without too much trouble.

Back
Top Bottom