What to do with a straight-trunk privet?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Its in a big pot now, so unless the current roots are going round in circles i dont think a bigger pot is beneficial. i can see by the top growth this is probably not the case. the tree looks a bit weak, i would focus on growing out the left side and thickening up the top part of trunk/leader.
i like that you tried to emulate the pictured tree, but i think you need to focus on growth and health for this to be a convincing image.

the real tree has a healthy looking canopy, you tried to copy the dipping branch but i think on the real tree that whole left side is actually dead.
if you really wanted to copy it, you could kill the weak side of your tree and make it all dead on that side, then try to wedge apart the top.
only a suggestion.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210103-093545_Polish.jpg
    Screenshot_20210103-093545_Polish.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Its in a big pot now, so unless the current roots are going round in circles i dont think a bigger pot is beneficial. i can see by the top growth this is probably not the case. the tree looks a bit weak, i would focus on growing out the left side and thickening up the top part of trunk/leader.
i like that you tried to emulate the pictured tree, but i think you need to focus on growth and health for this to be a convincing image.

the real tree has a healthy looking canopy, you tried to copy the dipping branch but i think on the real tree that whole left side is actually dead.
if you really wanted to copy it, you could kill the weak side of your tree and make it all dead on that side, then try to wedge apart the top.
only a suggestion.
Thanks Bobby.

I'm not set on making an exact copy of the example tree, but it was a bit of inspiration to get me started when all I had was a cylinder. I'm happy to keep the right side alive, but somewhat smaller and weaker than the left side.

I will focus on growing out the canopy on the left, as you suggest. It grows in spurts, and at the moment it has lost its leaves for the winter. "But privet doesn't lose its leaves in winter!", I hear you say :). For some reason the ones I have in pots do this, despite the climate being much milder than in the UK. I'll make sure it gets well fertilized in the spring and let it grow freely for a few months.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Bobby.

I'm not set on making an exact copy of the example tree, but it was a bit of inspiration to get me started when all I had was a cylinder. I'm happy to keep the right side alive, but somewhat smaller and weaker than the left side.

I will focus on growing out the canopy on the left, as you suggest. It grows in spurts, and at the moment it has lost its leaves for the winter. "But privet doesn't lose its leaves in winter!", I hear you say :). For some reason the ones I have in pots do this, despite the climate being much milder than in the UK. I'll make sure it gets well fertilized in the spring and let it grow freely for a few months.

yeh some do drop leaves, thats even better because then you can work on improving a winter image. ive known some people to defoliate them in winter to see the winter image or summer.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
yeh some do drop leaves, thats even better because then you can work on improving a winter image. ive known some people to defoliate them in winter to see the winter image or summer.
BTW I took the liberty of having a look at the Flikr albums that you link at the bottom of your posts. In additional to your own trees, which are stunning, there some interesting trees in your Richmond Park album for inspiration for hollowed trunks and whatnot.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
i didnt do this but its very convincing
View attachment 347529
This reminds me, I have to work on the Portuguese Oak.. its very much similar to this. A large old, very good bark stump. Carving was done by Graham Potter although some have commented to say it doesn't look good. Perhaps its cos its mine and im bias but I'm perfectly happy with it. It is very white but it works in my mind, as the stump and bark show a lot of age, which means over that kinda time the deadwood would be that white. Gets hot in Portugal, sun bleach is a thing :).

@Soup Dragon

I don't mind your thinking, not copying it completely but even if you did.. if thats what you want to do, then as you do it and develop it over a few years, youll start to think maybe this will be better.. and maybe not this.. etc.. then your own image starts to emerge.

Top Bottom