What to do with brown tips

SnickersUK

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

The new growth on one of my junipers has turned brown on some pads (approx 1-2mm) this could be due to a repot or a cold snap we had in the UK (maybe even both). Either way, my question is when you get brown tips like this if I leave them will they eventually fall off and be replaced with new growth or do I need to trim them with scissors?

Thanks.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hi Guys,

The new growth on one of my junipers has turned brown on some pads (approx 1-2mm) this could be due to a repot or a cold snap we had in the UK (maybe even both). Either way, my question is when you get brown tips like this if I leave them will they eventually fall off and be replaced with new growth or do I need to trim them with scissors?

Thanks.
Good question. I’ve gone back and forth with this.
Id just leave em. Seems whenever I cut, pinch, or pluck dead off, the tips often go brown again.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I leave them on. After a couple days with dry weather, they'll dessicate and you can easily rub them off.

Cutting them means you'll hit live tissue where they might be dividing cells to produce new shoots. Allowing the plant to abscize the tissue on its own, will prevent you from hurting live stuff.

SnickersUK

Seedling
Reaction score
I leave them on. After a couple days with dry weather, they'll dessicate and you can easily rub them off.

Cutting them means you'll hit live tissue where they might be dividing cells to produce new shoots. Allowing the plant to abscize the tissue on its own, will prevent you from hurting live stuff.
Thanks thats what I was hoping

Top Bottom