What to do with Hinoki Cypress?

QuantumSparky

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
My first attempt at working on nursery stock (I'm also a novice in general). I'm struggling to come up with a plan for this tree. Most branches are opposing each other and there are not many direct 'front' or 'back' branches. The trunk also turns into a fan of sorts.

Any suggestions for styling/branch selection? I'm not sure what styles are common for this tree and I haven't seen any Google Image examples of any similar tree with similar trunk structure near the top. I've done minimal pruning so far just to get a look at the trunk and I think I'll let the tree recover for the remainder of the growing season and then tackle hard pruning next spring. 20210626_164434.jpg20210626_190201.jpg

D

Deleted member 32750

My first attempt at working on nursery stock (I'm also a novice in general). I'm struggling to come up with a plan for this tree. Most branches are opposing each other and there are not many direct 'front' or 'back' branches. The trunk also turns into a fan of sorts.

Any suggestions for styling/branch selection? I'm not sure what styles are common for this tree and I haven't seen any Google Image examples of any similar tree with similar trunk structure near the top. I've done minimal pruning so far just to get a look at the trunk and I think I'll let the tree recover for the remainder of the growing season and then tackle hard pruning next spring. View attachment 383011View attachment 383012
I recommend watching Bjorn Bjorholm’s free YouTube video on Hinoki

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Unlike a juniper don't clean out the interior of a hinoki. They don't backbud on old wood so the interior growth you have, is what you're going to have to play with.
I like Bjorn's videos, he's very good. I have a couple of hinoki and I just follow standard spring repotting, so I'd wait till then to do any root work. I know that I said that they don't backbud on old wood, but I'll show you the rarest thing in my garden right now. Hinoki backbud.20210626_185238~2.jpg

D

Deleted member 32750

Unlike a juniper don't clean out the interior of a hinoki. They don't backbud on old wood so the interior growth you have, is what you're going to have to play with.
I like Bjorn's videos, he's very good. I have a couple of hinoki and I just follow standard spring repotting, so I'd wait till then to do any root work. I know that I said that they don't backbud on old wood, but I'll show you the rarest thing in my garden right now. Hinoki backbud.View attachment 383060
Wow what a sight. Is this regular Hinoki Cypress?

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If you want a big tree, put it in the ground and let it go for a few or ten years. If you want a smaller tree, chop at a low branch and let that be the leader in its existing pot.

It's a myth that hinoki do not backbud. They do under proper conditions. I have experienced plenty of backbudding on my own plants (Central Valley) and dug around on some hinokis in the SF Japanese Garden two days ago (way different climate) and found new sprouts. They are just slow growers and patience is a virtue here.

Bonsaidoorguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you want a big tree, put it in the ground and let it go for a few or ten years. If you want a smaller tree, chop at a low branch and let that be the leader in its existing pot.

It's a myth that hinoki do not backbud. They do under proper conditions. I have experienced plenty of backbudding on my own plants (Central Valley) and dug around on some hinokis in the SF Japanese Garden two days ago (way different climate) and found new sprouts. They are just slow growers and patience is a virtue here.
I just posted a picture so yeah they do backbud, but inexperienced people clean out hinoki like a juniper and end up with pompoms. So better to just assume you're not going to get any.

Top Bottom