What to Do With Juniper When Ground is Frozen

JLScharr

Seed
Reaction score
Hello!
I’m new to Bonsai but not new to gardening.
I have two new Juniper specimens, both between 6-8 years old.
Normally, I know they should have been planted or placed outdoors for the winter (I am in Minneapolis, MN, zone 4b) in order to get the right amount of dormancy, but the ground is already frozen.
I have a three season porch that is always about 20 degrees warmer than outside. I also have room in a mini fridge.
What should I do with them for the winter?
They’re currently sitting on my plant table in my living room under a light.
Any advice is appreciated!
Thanks!
Justin

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to doing bonsai in the zone 4.
Here it's not like the higher zones.
Trees need to be acclimated to the zone if they arent from here.
Lower light levels overall and extreme cold in January and February.
I learned not to get plants late in the year. hard,very hard to keep a growing plant alive during the winter here. You just about need to set up a grow space and limp them along through the winter. If you put it out it will freeze fast. Not good. It's a killer in fact if the plant didnt have the period from early fall up to winter to acclimate.
The good news is you have a plant that you might be able to do this with. It's going to take some jumping through hoops but can be done.
At the very least you're going to need a light that emits full spectrum lighting. And a squirt bottle to mist the plant. Every day. A few times a day. It's awful dry inside a house. Super dry in winter especially with the heat running all the time.
But watch the moisture in the soil. Dont overdo it there. It will use some but not like if it were outside in the sun.
Good luck. It might be tough but hang in there. And hopefully your plants make it.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hmmm! No follow up. Trees died, Bonsai seed did not sprout😼.

Top Bottom