What to do with Katsura

BigC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Hi, I've had this tree for some time now, left to its own devices it has put on a show year after year. I was wondering if it may make it as a bonsai one day. No it doesn't have to be a perfect display piece it just begs to be tidied up and given some structure perhaps. What do you think?
What would be the best way forward with this Acer, stage by stage?
From the pic below I would like to prune it into the triangular shape/image you see denoted by the redder of the autumn leaves.
Can you give me some practical advice on how to progress with this tree?
GC Katsura Maple.jpg
Regards
C

BigC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Perhaps a better photo of the shape I would like to achieve.
Can I prune the branches outside the triangular image at this point in time.?

Kat1.jpg

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
you say youve had the tree some time, have you ever photographed it without leaves? styling ideas and planning are done when the leaves are off.

i assume you have a naked pic of the tree?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For me, your request is quite contradictory.
doesn't have to be a perfect display piece it just begs to be tidied up
But then acknowledging the proper work is slow and in stages.
best way forward with this Acer, stage by stage?

So what do I think?

Anything so pretty should be professionally progressed.

Gotta make the cake before you can lick the spoon.

Gotta swipe the head off before you drink the beer?😂

Sorce

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi, I've had this tree for some time now, left to its own devices it has put on a show year after year. I was wondering if it may make it as a bonsai one day. No it doesn't have to be a perfect display piece it just begs to be tidied up and given some structure perhaps. What do you think?
What would be the best way forward with this Acer, stage by stage?
From the pic below I would like to prune it into the triangular shape/image you see denoted by the redder of the autumn leaves.
Can you give me some practical advice on how to progress with this tree?
View attachment 334898
Regards
C
If you want it be displayed now, you can just shape-prune it to keep a more or less triangular form, right now it seems like it's kind of triangular (red triangle), but due to its position in the pot seems to me like it should be pointing the other way (green triangle).

1602858199118.png

If this is what you'd like to do, wait until spring and do some wiring and shape-pruning.
However, if you want it acquire taper, I'd chop just above where the trunk splits into a "Y" (green lines) and I would even lose one of the branches (prune to red line in one of the sides), but keep everything in the yellow circle to use as sacrifice branch. You'll end up with a much shorter tree than what you have now.

1602858930706.png

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi, I've had this tree for some time now, left to its own devices it has put on a show year after year. I was wondering if it may make it as a bonsai one day. No it doesn't have to be a perfect display piece it just begs to be tidied up and given some structure perhaps.

It's a nice healthy tree. If you just want to prune the branches that extend outside of the foliage silhouette (to tidy it up) that's fine, but that won't make your tree a bonsai. It will make it a nice tree in a pot.

Bonsai is all about trying to make your tree look like a large tree in nature - just in miniature (as if viewed from a distance). To develop the tree as a bonsai, you would not start on the outside of the foliage mass... you would start by viewing the skeleton of the tree and determining the necessary work to create the proper structure... and then wait a while... and then you develop the secondary structure... and then wait a while... and then develop the final fine ramification. This is a very simplified description - but the point is you need to start at the inside and work out. And if you can't see the skeleton/structure of the tree, there is no way for people to give you advice about what needs to be done.

Just wait for the tree to drop its leaves and people will be able to help you.

BigC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Sound advice guys and I thank you all for your time.
I guess this cant be rushed.
I will enlist a local expert to look at it with a more critical eye with its clothes off and explain to me how and why this and that needs to be done. Maybe let me take control under his watchful gaze. The chop looks drastic Grovic but if it makes the beginnings of a better tree then that may well be considered
Maybe that way I'll learn something.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nah, the batter tastes way better than the cake.
But you gotta start somewhere!
I switched "make" from bake specifically for that reason . .. .who bakes cakes?

Sorce

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Why triangular? Triangles are for designing spruce. I've never seen a maple in the "wilds" with triangular profile. It will make an awkward, ugly tree, and your tree is lovely. Turn that triangle upside down, or better yet, think wine glass shape, a vase shape with the tree spreading as it rises up. THAT is a natural form for a maple. Don't ruin this maple by using a "pine tree" or "spruce tree" template for styling it. Put the damn pruning shears away. Go out and look at real maple trees. Take photos, make drawings. Then come back and look at your maple.

Your tree is a lovely tree, don't ruin it by making look like some pine or spruce bonsai. I would not have commented, but I think your tree has potential and deserves better than "pine tree treatment".

BigC

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6-9
Your tree is a lovely tree, don't ruin it by making look like some pine or spruce bonsai. I would not have commented, but I think your tree has potential and deserves better than "pine tree treatment".
Cheers Leo, thanks for your guiding comments, I have got in contact with a guy who feels the same way about its potential locally. and he is willing to help me do the necessary preliminary work once the leaves have gone. (as has already been mentioned) I'll come back with images of that at a later date as I would like to catalogue this progression and the steps involved to initially take some material like this and the preparation involved to start making into a bonsai. Thanks again everyone appreciated as always

Top Bottom