What to do with large ficus

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah it looks like a small leafed Benjamin.

Doesn't seem to grow slow tho!

I think leaving it is a good idea, I bet it springs from all of those bumps.

Just feed it good!

Sorce

Jimmy1020

Sapling
Reaction score
Yeah it looks like a small leafed Benjamin.

Doesn't seem to grow slow tho!

I think leaving it is a good idea, I bet it springs from all of those bumps.

Just feed it good!

Sorce
True! I will leave it for the time being .
I hope it sprouts, like you said it does look like it will .Hopfully it doesn't die on me as iv recently cut back some of the roots,trunk and repoted it with new mix.
I'm a little scared as iv heard mixed things about benji ficus NOT tolerating heavy root prune and trunk chops

Is the fertilizer in the potting mix enough or is there something else I should feed it?
Sorry for the silly questions

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
As it could b a benjamina I'd leave it alone to recover (or not) for now. You can always reduce the trunk further when it gets up and running again. Any extra trunk now should help the roots get going I hope.

As Sorce has pointed out, there are always plenty of alternatives to style a bonsai. All are legitimate. I would also prefer a naturally styled fig with vertical trunk, spreading branches and wide canopy but I'd be just a little wary of such a large cut which may take many years to heal over.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
something else I should feed it?

That's probly enough.

Here's mine.

I reckon the cut can heal. But I've been contemplating grafting to close wounds too.
It's in here somewhere.

Cheers!

Sorce

Jimmy1020

Sapling
Reaction score
As it could b a benjamina I'd leave it alone to recover (or not) for now. You can always reduce the trunk further when it gets up and running again. Any extra trunk now should help the roots get going I hope.

As Sorce has pointed out, there are always plenty of alternatives to style a bonsai. All are legitimate. I would also prefer a naturally styled fig with vertical trunk, spreading branches and wide canopy but I'd be just a little wary of such a large cut which may take many years to heal over.

Jimmy1020

Sapling
Reaction score
That's probly enough.

Here's mine.

I reckon the cut can heal. But I've been contemplating grafting to close wounds too.
It's in here somewhere.

Cheers!

Sorce
Thanks for the reference..
The stump is actually much thicker then it looks tho ..to help heal if and when I make the cut lower would you think a peg graft on the front or in the middle of the cut would help it grow and taper nicely?

Jimmy

Attachments

• 20200114_055640.jpg
    20200114_055640.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 48

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Even though I made a successful graft, I'm still fully anti graft!

I think you can do without.

For me, it's just a weak spot. Weak spots are susceptible to damage. Poor form to create weak spots on purpose.

Sorce

Jimmy1020

Sapling
Reaction score
Just thought I'd do a update on a stump chop i did a couple of months ago on my banjo , as you can see it is doing well with plenty of new sprouts comming out which is surprising as i was hearing mixed comments about how a benji would handle a big stump chop.
And ideas on how or what to do with the mess down the bottom next season would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200410_163106.jpg
    20200410_163106.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20200410_163058.jpg
    20200410_163058.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 36

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Awesome news that this pushed out some new growth! If it was mine I would let it go wild for a while and recover. I’m talking growing several feet tall, it should look like a bush before working it hard again. It won't take long.

Top Bottom