What to do with my Firebush?

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's my Firebush, my very first tree. Made every rookie mistake possible but luckily these things are hard to kill.

Attached are two pictures of each side. I have circled the buds/shoots and I believe everything above the red line is dead.

Right now I the main leader twisted around the old trunk to give the illusion of top foliage. But I am wondering if I should ditch the dead trunk or not?

Attachments

• 20200517_141220.jpg
    20200517_141220.jpg
    408.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 20200517_141145.jpg
    20200517_141145.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 98

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I do not know Hamelia but that dead trunk is really ugly as it is.
Rather than just sawing it off you should consider making some feature out of part of the dead trunk. I have no idea whether dead wood would be a natural part of fire bush growth but you will really need something to look at while those skinny new shoots grow a bit. Shorten the dead part, carve some of it away as if it had died and rotted or broken in a hurricane or something. Treat the dead wood with a preservative so it does not rot away too quick.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Here's an update on my Firebush as of 2 months ago. I've wired some of the branches and cut them back a few times to create some initial ramification. The leaves have reduced nicely. Unfortunately I didn't think to take pictures before this haircut but imagine 3-4x as much foliage.

20200929_171717.jpg

20200929_171429.jpg

I must say this species has been a blast to work with. Nigh invincible, I can prune it as many times as I want and it just keeps growing and trying to produce new flowers. And the amount of growth is fantastic. Only 15 months prior, it was a bare stump.

20190706_135012.jpg

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Interesting soil choice. I would be curious to see how healthy the roots are.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Interesting soil choice. I would be curious to see how healthy the roots are.
Soil choice was dirt from the ground where it came from! This tree was very much a spur of the moment "I'm gonna dig up a plant, put it in a pot and try to make a bonsai out of it".

Firebush is basically a very attractive weed. It will grow aggressively in damn near any condition. I have a few ideas for this species going forward so I'll see how well it does with a quality substrate in spring.

Graft

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Those two roots together look like a dog lying down!

Top Bottom