what to do with my ROR ficus?

thailand-steve

Yamadori
Reaction score
P1140798.jpg

i have this nice root system growing over a rock now but this was one of the first trees i bought and didn't choose well. it doesn't have any nice fat lower branches.

so i'm wondering how to style this? as you can see, i'm going for a cascade but not 100% sure. maybe i should graft in a bigger, lower branch? or just wire that low branch really bendy and let it grow?

does anyone one have an ideas what i can do with this to make it look dramatic?

thx steve

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You could try approach grafts to establish low branches, using the higher branches you have now.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't think it wants to be a cascade, I think you're trying to force it. I would try to wire that top branch back to the right as much as possible and cut it back a little bit at the top to try to force some back budding that you can grow out.

Also the gap between the rock and the roots looks a bit weird, but I bet putting some sphagnum moss in the crevice would cause some roots to grow in its place.

thailand-steve

Yamadori
Reaction score
I don't think it wants to be a cascade, I think you're trying to force it. I would try to wire that top branch back to the right as much as possible and cut it back a little bit at the top to try to force some back budding that you can grow out.

Also the gap between the rock and the roots looks a bit weird, but I bet putting some sphagnum moss in the crevice would cause some roots to grow in its place.

P1140809m.jpg P1140798ps.jpg
thanks for the advice. i'll almost circularly lop off that root when the tree is a bit more established, like in the photoshoped one here, and remove a lot of the fine roots above ground.
i think maybe you are right about the cascade not right. i'll try get some low branches onto trunk on all sides

here i photoshoped in a top from a formal upright ficus. i'm not sure this is the right style either P1140798ps2.jpg

this i like better and the low branch on the left us already there P1140798ps3.jpg

by the way, that's my home made cement pot, i put a video on youtube about how to make them, look for 2112design channel

Attachments

• P1140809m.jpg
    P1140809m.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Top Bottom