What to do with red maple and weird winterberry?

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Posted a few times but this is my first tree thread. I have this red maple/Acer rubrum which started out as a cheap whip last year and grew about 3 ft over the season. It is currently in a 2 gallon fabric pot and needs to be up-potted or planted in the ground because the wind blows it over constantly. It needs a lot of work on the roots, trunk, everything. I think I want to end up with something naturalistic like a Walter Pall tree or a mature red maple in nature and maybe this is silly, but I also like the flowers a lot and was hoping they could feature prominently. So here are the questions:
IMG_20210404_134048188_HDR.jpgred maple winter inspiration.jpgred maple flowers 1.jpgred maple flowers 2.jpg
1) Has anyone seen an Acer rubrum bonsai of flowering age/size? I read that they could flower at 4-8 years old but I'm not sure if they need to be a certain size as well. I've seen plenty of Japanese maples blooming at bonsai size.
2) How heavy is a 3 ft or larger bonsai? I realized I can't really compare it to lugging around nursery trees because they don't have the trunk diameter/branching a bonsai does.
3) While growing this out, I'm not sure how often to trunk chop it without leaving big wounds that will rot out? (read in other threads that this is a concern with this species)

I also picked up this Ilex verticillata and I'm not sure where to go with it. So far I'm leaning towards keeping one of the two trunks and doing some weird literati thing, but I can't quite imagine what that would look like. The first picture is what I'm thinking of as the front.
IMG_20210406_135846585_HDR.pngIMG_20210406_135906370_HDR.pngIMG_20210406_135835593_HDR.png

Attachments

• IMG_20210406_135829544_HDR.png
    IMG_20210406_135829544_HDR.png
    651.3 KB · Views: 25

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I thought you could flower any (flowering) plant with enough fertilizer.

Tums

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I thought you could flower any (flowering) plant with enough fertilizer.
Some seem to have certain requirements that are difficult to meet in bonsai pots (for example, you can search for redbud/cercis on this forum and people have trouble getting those to bloom). I'm just going to go ahead and assume it won't be a problem for a maple but was wondering if anyone knew for sure.

Top Bottom