What to do with this boxwood

Rianodell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Collected this boxwood a few months ago, and really Im not sure how to style it. I Thought it was ingesting as the main trunk had died off. I plan on carving out the main truck to give it more character on the deadwood. Only one live vain runs up the back of that thin branch. It’s just really straight and not too bendy due to the dead wood. What should i do.

Attachments

• 34FC2665-4C9F-4FF5-953A-331F1B0E379D.jpeg
    34FC2665-4C9F-4FF5-953A-331F1B0E379D.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 94

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’d imagine you’d want to bring it back to good health before doing any work. In spring plant in bonsai mix and fertilize it. I can see something cool with what you have. The secondary branch doesn’t have taper so it looks awkward. I’d bring it back to good health and create a new form. Looks like good material for that.

Rianodell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes I won’t be doing anything till next year maybe the year after if it doesn’t get any good growth going. Im unsure if I could somehow bend that branch even with the deadwood without braking it. Or a way to stimulate new growth lower down to restyle.

AcerAddict

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Welcome to the forum!

Boxwood grow slowly, so you'll be waiting a while for anything significant to happen. I'd focus on keeping it alive for now. The wood in mature branches doesn't bend all that easily either, so be very careful when you do eventually try to train that long branch or you risk snapping it.

Not sure where you're located, but boxwood do their best grown outdoors just in case you're not already keeping it there.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's up with the pot? If you're looking to get it healthy enough to work on, leaving half the root ball exposed isn't a real good approach...also if this was collected only a few months ago, i wouldn't go making design plans for it just yet. It will need a couple of years to recover...just sayin'

BrightsideB

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Rianodell update your profile so that all us bonsai nerds here know your climate zone to help with advice. I agree with @rockm he is legit and has good advice. There is potential! But will take a few years to gain vigor back. Then you are able to cut knowing it is healthy and has energy stores to grow new growth. Several boxwoods I dug took a several years to gain health md start back budding on older wood. I’m still building the health back on them three years later.

Rianodell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What's up with the pot? If you're looking to get it healthy enough to work on, leaving half the root ball exposed isn't a real good approach...also if this was collected only a few months ago, i wouldn't go making design plans for it just yet. It will need a couple of years to recover...just sayin'
Thank you for the advice, I’m new to this and don’t want to kill the tree. It’s in that pot because the plant was grown down fallowing the ground and I didn’t have something Long enough for the roots to fit in. (Was going to use a plastic container but idk if that’s or not.) but all the root ball that was dug up is what’s in the pot.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The part of the trunk that was carved into deadwood was your best option for a nice trunk line in my opinion

Rianodell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The part of the trunk that was carved into deadwood was your best option for a nice trunk line in my opinion
I agree with you on that as well. Unfortunately the main trunk was cut and book off I really just cleaned it up so it wasn’t all splintery. The long peace that’s left I think is an old exposed root. It was going to be thrown away so I figure why not try to make something out of it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

I dig the pot situation.

Get like 6 more for the wait.

Sorce

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It probably doesnt know grappling, so try a double leg takedown.

Top Bottom