What to do with this Cedar

defra

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've read a bit about people planting in colanders and then placing the colander in the ground. Seems to make sense. Makes it easy to lift the plant out, prune the roots and put it back into the ground. Would that be a good idea for this cedar?

You wont have to prune the roots that way i think, the escapeing roots will be going trough the holes, when they thicken they get stuck and then they will prune themselfs if im right.... i never done it this way myself but i believe i read this somewere that was the reasoning behind this but again im not sure
Maybe @Anthony can clarify this i believe he does use this method.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Collanders are mainly for pines, other trees they can be good or a problem. Putting a colander in the ground can be very difficult to dig back out again if the tree sends a taproot down and out of the colander. Especially if you forget about it a couple years.

Best benefit of colanders is to use it on a bench, instead of a pot. The air getting to all sides of the root ball air prunes the roots to get fine ramification. Colanders will need more frequent watering than a normal pot. Seldom used for deciduous trees because of their higher need for water.

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
Wouldn't the colander help spread the roots out?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wouldn't the colander help spread the roots out?

No
A colander would would keep roots shorter, and help roots to be more branched. Better ramified. BUT, a tree in a colander will need more frequent watering than a tree in a pot or in the ground. It will also grow a little slower because the roots are being ''air pruned''. This is a technique for pines, especially shohin pines. It is really not necessary for pines, just one option for pines. It is usually a bad choice for deciduous trees.

If you bury a colander in the ground, you have essentially a ''ground growing'' situation because all the roots can escape the colander. There is no benefit from a colander buried in the ground, if anything you will have trouble digging it up. You will have all the flaws of ground growing.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
No
A colander would would keep roots shorter, and help roots to be more branched. Better ramified. BUT, a tree in a colander will need more frequent watering than a tree in a pot or in the ground. It will also grow a little slower because the roots are being ''air pruned''. This is a technique for pines, especially shohin pines. It is really not necessary for pines, just one option for pines. It is usually a bad choice for deciduous trees.

If you bury a colander in the ground, you have essentially a ''ground growing'' situation because all the roots can escape the colander. There is no benefit from a colander buried in the ground, if anything you will have trouble digging it up. You will have all the flaws of ground growing.
Sorry , not sure why you feel it works that way. That has not been my experience. Some of the roots escape, the rest are kept in a more compact form which allows the tree to be transferred and repotted with ease. It is important to sever the escaping roots from time to time to prevent the same issues as ground growing as alluded to above. They are very easy to dig up if done at least annually. The real problem is Andersen flats placed on the ground for several years or even a regular bonsai pot that is allowed to stay on the ground for several years with a healthy juniper extending downwards. But then that is a case of neglecting the situation, is it not. never felt Bonsai was a plant and forget hobby.
The use of the colandar allows me some of the benefits of ground growing such as the even temperature and stable ground conditions, also it is good to rotate the trees when the roots are severed for even development and it is good to work the roots more frequently than normal extended ground growing.
I use them for pines only in the early stages , first three years and do not use them with most deciduous past the second year. Temporary containers for specific purposes. Examples below. Pines year two and three. Maples year one and two. Seedlings/ cuttings through winter in greenhouse.
Years ago i tried them on the bench and found them to be unstable and dried out to fast, so i switched to setting them in the ground. If using on the bench for air pruning then i would reccomend larger sizes with stable flat bases.
Would not reccomend for cypress or cedar as they like moister conditions than pines and colandars dry out quicker and require more frequent watering.
PS: my comments are based on repeated use for specific purposes over many years. Perhaps they are only useful if one adapts to their strengths and avoids their weaknesses. Certainly the climate and care routines make a difference.

Attachments

• IMG_0605.JPG
    IMG_0605.JPG
    301.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1060.JPG
    IMG_1060.JPG
    367.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0063.JPG
    IMG_0063.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 15

one_bonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
I'm talking more about using in-ground colanders.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm talking more about using in-ground colanders.
A colandar does not help spread the roots out as you suggested, it provides free drainage ( used with a suitable mix) and helps to contain and create a more compact rootball. If you wanted to spread the roots out you would place on a tile or board. Allowing a few roots to escape through holes in the colandar is hardly spreading the rootball. They are all severed when the plant is removed from the colandar.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@River's Edge
The way you use the colanders makes sense. IF I had put more effort into working out how to use colanders, my opinion might have been different. I tried them only briefly, and was not impressed, rather than work out the details I abandoned the idea. As to Anderson flats, I usually use them on benches. If they are on the ground, they get picked up and turned at least every other week.

Top Bottom