What to do with this Japanese Maple

Newish in Oregon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Neighbor here in Portland, OR had this maple in a pot but said it was suffering too much winter kill and was ready to get rid of it. Probably not best time of year to be messing with it and trunk doesn't seem very interesting but since I couldn't beat the price... I'll need to reduce the rootball to get it into the largest pot I have. Thoughts on how much I can reduce and any other guidance appreciated

IMG_1888[1].JPGIMG_1890[1].JPGIMG_1893[1].JPG

j evans

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
You already said you have to reduce the rootball. I'd do the minimum to fit the pot with some room for growth then set it in the shade and care for it gently until it perks up. Don't care so much for it that you do it in. Good luck.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Not an ideal time to root prune JM but I still hold some hope.
There's not much foliage on it so it does not really need anywhere near that many roots. I would go for broke and do a massive reduction now. I have done a couple like this and survival is better than 50%. They usually drop all the leaves but bud up a few weeks later. I have not tried defoliating at the same time to see whether that helps.
The way I see it if it lives you will be a year ahead because the roots will be better and if it does not make it you have not lost anything except a little time and some potting soil.

Newish in Oregon

Yamadori
Reaction score
So the objective was to reduce rootball and keep it alive. I mostly achieved those objectives but am guessing some cut paste would have helped prevent some of the die back. It's been pretty much left to grow since the re-potting and am now looking ahead to the work in the spring. I'm thinking maybe cut back to just above the lower branch and take off one of those but need some guidance.

Attachments

• DSC_0954.JPG
    DSC_0954.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 133
  • DSC_0955.JPG
    DSC_0955.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 105
  • DSC_0956.JPG
    DSC_0956.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC_0957.JPG
    DSC_0957.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_0958.JPG
    DSC_0958.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 75
  • DSC_0959.JPG
    DSC_0959.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC_0960.JPG
    DSC_0960.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 140

Newish in Oregon

Yamadori
Reaction score
So the objective was to reduce rootball and keep it alive. I mostly achieved those objectives but am guessing some cut paste would have helped prevent some of the die back. It's been pretty much left to grow since the re-potting and am now looking ahead to the work in the spring. I'm thinking maybe cut back to just above the lower branch and take off one of those but need some guidance.
@Shibui or anyone else....Any thoughts on next steps for this tree?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I doubt that cut paste would have stopped that die back. IMHO this has more to do with sap paths from root to branches, akin to the live vein theory in junipers. Trees can change sap paths given some time but JM, in particular, seem to take time and if they can't reroute sap in time those sections of trunk that were feeding the branches chopped off (or vice-versa?) are at risk of dying also.
Reducing branches/trunk/roots a bit slower can reduce the problem - cut all branches above chop point to just a few leaves a few months before the ultimate chop or reduce trunk in a couple of stages over a year or 2 to give time to change sap paths.

There are a couple of possible ways forward.
Dead wood on maples is not usual but I've bucked the trend and have a couple that I believe look OK. Consider making dead wood as a feature on this one.

Maples can heal large scars, especially when they are still growing strong and developing thickness. Consider allowing good growth to close some or all of the damaged section.

My next thought was also to chop again above the lower branch. There is still a possibility of further die back as the roots that are currently tied to the upper branch could die after it is chopped.
Given the previous result I'd reduce the branch to just a single shoot for a while to encourage new sap paths to the stronger low branches before a final chop.
Chopping to the lower branch will probably also require a change of trunk angle. Check roots before making that decision. If roots below the branch are deeper than those on opposite side change of angle is easy. If not can roots be chopped to achieve good nebari at new trunk angle?
Change of front may hide scar at rear of trunk and possibly give a better line through the new branch/trunk without a big tilt to the trunk.

Newish in Oregon

Yamadori
Reaction score
Why don’t you bring it to the club?
  • February 28, 2023, BSOP Monthly Meeting - American legend, Bill Valvanis, with a presentation on Japanese Maples

@HamburgerTrain Thanks for the suggestion. I did bring it to the BSOP meeting and had a chance to briefly talk with Bill. He agreed w/ cutting it down to the lower branches but suggested I keep them both- one becomes the new apex and use the other one for a cascade. It's going to take some heavy wire but I'll give it a go.

Top Bottom