What to do with this little Nana

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I picked this little guy up the other day at the nursery, just because. It's super leggy and I'm just not sure what to do with it. Any suggestions?

Juniper

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Yeah it seems very healthy. Just really long branches. I've got a little back budding going on so I may just try and focus on growing those out for new branches. I might put it in a bigger container in the winter just to let this sucker grow out.

J P

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
I like the idea of using the new buds for the long term development of the tree. Depending on the diameter of the leggy branches you could try to root them as cuttings after the new buds become more defined.

You could also try wiring the leggy branches and make some drastic bends. Bring the foliage down low and consider some of the branches for Jin within the foliage as part of the design.

It looks like the lower portion of the trunk is pretty straight so you could consider doing some carving to introduce some movement into the base. I look forward to seeing the progress of this tree.

As always make sure you do the work on a healthy tree at the proper time of year.

JRDillWFM

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Of course, no work on this guy right now. I literally have $10 invested in this guy so I'm not super concerned about it. I'm just going to let it grow and put it in a larger grow box next winter.

I like the idea of creating some interesting deadwood with the long branches. I may do some heavy bends and see what it looks like.

J P

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
If it was me I would go with the crazy bends and the deadwood.

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Very cool tree man! I think you should try to get it more compact (let light inside the tree) and do branch selection, but I think the season is not right atm.

Top Bottom