What to do with this parsonii?

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I posted this at another forum, but no one ever said you shouldn't get a second opinion. I planted this parsonii juniper last year in my yard and was going to give it some time to grow. I'm moving now and trying to consider what's worth taking and what isn't. This juniper is in consideration because I have few bonsai that I would consider are good style training for me (pruning, wiring). Of course, they probably lend themselves to a cascade style, but I'm not particularly fond of that style and as far as I'll go is semi-cascade. Trunk is about 1.5 inches. As you can see in the pictures, there are no branches growing straight up and I am not sure if I can bend of the bigger side branches up enough to have a slanting or informal upright style. Transplant it to new house? Pot and start training? Leave it?

LEFT

parsonii%20001.JPG

parsonii%20002.JPG

RIGHT

parsonii%20003.JPG

TOP 2

parsonii%20004.JPG

Last edited:

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
I see some potential in what you call the right side. Killer tree? No, but I think it can be something you can really learn on, worth your time and can be a nice bonsai in a few years. Red line is a trink line I see while the yellow is what I would cut back now. Leave stubs for jins, and it looks like if you cut where I say you should have enough foliage left to make a intital styling next spring or this fall. But it is hard to really tell from a picture, you would know better than I would.
I think I would take it with me. Jason
parsonii_003.jpg

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks, yes, this is the line that I was looking at yesterday. That branch though is really angled to what would be the front of the tree. I think I'm going to try it though, because one thing I've got out of looking at this tree, then posting the pictures is that the viewer can't always tell how much angle the branches have forward or backward, which is something I've been concerned about on several trees of mine.

subnet_rx

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here it is after being potted and some pruning. Wanted to take another look before doing anything major.

parsonii%20005.JPG

parsonii%20007.JPG

Top Bottom