what to do with this ugly ficus

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is a thought for you to consider, I even tried to do a virtual of what I am talking about, this virtual is pretty amateur though. My cousin bought one of these over a year ago to try to use as a Bonsai with a nice little pot he had. After putting it in the pot he hated it, he also read many pieces on forums where people hate these and call them ugly as the ginseng ficus has those bulbous roots. He said he was going to toss it out and I asked him if I could take it for a few months and torture it.

I took the plant and it was healthy and was at a loss of what to do. The really large root looked the size of yours and it had another bulging root coming out of the main one. It was about 15 inches tall with the same sparse growth on the top. The root on the left looked to me to be about the same as your left side thinner root, it was thicker near the large root, about an inch in diameter and reduced to about a half inch at the soil line. I decided that as he was going to throw it away, I asked him again to make sure if I killed it he would not be pissed off, I decided to cut off the large bulging root. I used a coping saw with a fine blade and cut it so the large trunk was removed and followed a progression into the thinner remaining trunk, I had to use a razor blade knife to round it out. I then wrapped it with saran wrap that I had cut an inch width off the end of a roll, and wrapped it very tightly and left it in partial shade for two weeks. It dropped some leaves and others yellowed a bit, then I put it out in the Florida sun where it would get sun till mid afternoon and it started growing new buds and leafing out over the next month.

This terrible virtual of your plant is almost identical to his plant when I returned it to him, although his had twice as many leaves at the time I returned it to him.
6242761184_30291cd5b9.jpg

I removed the saran wrap the day I returned it to him, it had healed over well but was a different texture which I assume will grow out in time. I will see the plant next winter when I return to Florida.

ed

Last edited:
Top Bottom