What to expect in a workshop with a bonsai professional

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Mauro Stemberger will be performing a two-day workshop close to where I live soon, and it would seem like a great way to spend a weekend! However, I am wondering what would I need to get the most out of it, or to even make it worthwhile.

Clearly would I need to show up with one or two trees to work on, but what quality and refinement level should they be? Is it best to bring a tree already in bonsai form and aim for a makeover, or bring some decent pre-bonsai material and see what it can be made into? My own collection doesn't really have much that Mauro could really get his teeth into, so I'm thinking I would need to buy something suitable.

I would be very grateful if anyone familiar with this type of workshop could let me know what to expect, and what I can do to get the most value out of it.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
you dont need to buy anything for it. Mauro understands not everyone can afford world class trees.
Bring something that is healthy and ready to be worked on. Maybe something you need advice with and are having trouble deciding what you should do

Bring an open mind and be open to different options.
Ask questions, make your own suggestions if you have any for the tree.
He will tell you what he thinks but in the end it is your tree and you make the decision.

Last edited:

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it depends a lot on what you want to get out of it.

Mauro is well-versed bonsai artist. Well known of course for his work on pines, but he is really good with all types of conifers. I am not sure about his broadleaf work.
Assume he might assist you, but you will do the brunt of the work. Decide whether you want styling, refinement, deadwood etcetc input from him.

If I were to have a workshop with him I would look at trees I do not know how to elevate, where I am unhappy with certain design aspects. Ideally I would bring a tree left alone for the last growing seasons so there is lots of healthy & material to work with. I know enough about styling to know what to prune and what not, so I might actually do a light cleanup of the the tree and I would uncover the nebari. This way it is easier for him to quickly assess the tree.

The challenge is with wiring. I never wire out my trees before a workshop, and will do it during the workshop, as I find I still can use advice on my wiring, which is best gotten during the process (For me). I know some will go to such a workshop bringing 4 trees, once for every morning and afternoon. All wired out. Get the tree discussed, work on it and afterwards get the artist to help you fine-tune the layout. Ask the workshop organizer what the setup will be. If there is only space for 1 tree to be discussed, this would not make sense.

The place where I do most of my workshops has this as a setup for a self-work workshop, with numbers normally 10-15 persons present:
(the day might start with a demonstartion or lecture byu the artist on their expertise). The the artist will go through the room and discuss the trees on the tables one by one with the owner. The first trees are discussed in most detail, and the generic information is then slowly reduced as he moved from tree to tree. Then everyone starts working on their trees, and the artist will walk around, spending 5-10 minutes on average with everybody. This means you will get his time once every 2 hours (!). I normally have multiple trees, and I make sure that when the artist comes around to me, I have another tree ready to be discussed, so I get 2 for one. I get a quick assessment of the work done so far, and I get a review of other material which I might work on later.

Take time off tedious work on your tree to follow the artist around. Look at the material other people bring. Make mental sketches and development choices on those trees and then listen in on the advice of the artist. Compare that with your mental notes. Which things are different from your ideas? ASK why choices are made, and put your ideas forward, asking the artist to reflect. Just working your own tree is nice, but it is a shame from having a big name artist nearby.

To me the aim of such workshops is NOT to leave with a perfectly groomed tree. I want to understand the way the artist thinks, and why certain choices are made. That is where the value is for me.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There is usually a range of tree quality at workshops so no need to worry or be shy. You can take a raw tree or a more advanced bonsai and your workshop leader should be able to help with either.
Obviously you won't get much if you just take in a skinny seedling except advice on growing it larger.
The more work there is to do on the trees you take the more you will have to keep busy through the workshop but I have seen some really bushy trees that are hiding a crap trunk and branches. A good workshop should be able to identify the best options in any stock but even the best cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
Try to take some time out to wander round and listen to what is being discussed at each tree. I actually think you can learn a lot more by paying attention to the other trees than just working on your own. Some workshops offer spaces for observers - people who don't have a tree to work on but who want to watch and learn. Note that observers are supposed to be just that. Butting in and adding unwanted advice is frowned on.

You will usually be expected to supply all your own tools, wire, etc but if your leader decides it requires a special tool you don't have more often than not someone else at the workshop will have one and offer to lend it.
A turntable makes working and designing easier.
Some wedges are often useful to set the pot at a new angle while you work.

Have fun.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
you dont need to buy anything for it. Mauro understands not everyone can afford world class trees.
Bring something that is healthy and ready to be worked on. Maybe something you need advice with and are having trouble deciding what you should do

Bring an open mind and be open to different options.
Ask questions, make your own suggestions if you have any for the tree.
He will tell you what he thinks but in the end it is your tree and you make the decision.
This is very helpful. Thank you!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I think it depends a lot on what you want to get out of it.

Mauro is well-versed bonsai artist. Well known of course for his work on pines, but he is really good with all types of conifers. I am not sure about his broadleaf work.
Assume he might assist you, but you will do the brunt of the work. Decide whether you want styling, refinement, deadwood etcetc input from him.

If I were to have a workshop with him I would look at trees I do not know how to elevate, where I am unhappy with certain design aspects. Ideally I would bring a tree left alone for the last growing seasons so there is lots of healthy & material to work with. I know enough about styling to know what to prune and what not, so I might actually do a light cleanup of the the tree and I would uncover the nebari. This way it is easier for him to quickly assess the tree.

The challenge is with wiring. I never wire out my trees before a workshop, and will do it during the workshop, as I find I still can use advice on my wiring, which is best gotten during the process (For me). I know some will go to such a workshop bringing 4 trees, once for every morning and afternoon. All wired out. Get the tree discussed, work on it and afterwards get the artist to help you fine-tune the layout. Ask the workshop organizer what the setup will be. If there is only space for 1 tree to be discussed, this would not make sense.

The place where I do most of my workshops has this as a setup for a self-work workshop, with numbers normally 10-15 persons present:
(the day might start with a demonstartion or lecture byu the artist on their expertise). The the artist will go through the room and discuss the trees on the tables one by one with the owner. The first trees are discussed in most detail, and the generic information is then slowly reduced as he moved from tree to tree. Then everyone starts working on their trees, and the artist will walk around, spending 5-10 minutes on average with everybody. This means you will get his time once every 2 hours (!). I normally have multiple trees, and I make sure that when the artist comes around to me, I have another tree ready to be discussed, so I get 2 for one. I get a quick assessment of the work done so far, and I get a review of other material which I might work on later.

Take time off tedious work on your tree to follow the artist around. Look at the material other people bring. Make mental sketches and development choices on those trees and then listen in on the advice of the artist. Compare that with your mental notes. Which things are different from your ideas? ASK why choices are made, and put your ideas forward, asking the artist to reflect. Just working your own tree is nice, but it is a shame from having a big name artist nearby.

To me the aim of such workshops is NOT to leave with a perfectly groomed tree. I want to understand the way the artist thinks, and why certain choices are made. That is where the value is for me.

Thank you so much for taking the time for such a detailed reply. This really helps me get a feel for what to expect, and how to approach the workshop.

Even your last phrase alone is so very helpful:
"To me the aim of such workshops is NOT to leave with a perfectly groomed tree. I want to understand the way the artist thinks, and why certain choices are made. That is where the value is for me."

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
There is usually a range of tree quality at workshops so no need to worry or be shy. You can take a raw tree or a more advanced bonsai and your workshop leader should be able to help with either.
Obviously you won't get much if you just take in a skinny seedling except advice on growing it larger.
The more work there is to do on the trees you take the more you will have to keep busy through the workshop but I have seen some really bushy trees that are hiding a crap trunk and branches. A good workshop should be able to identify the best options in any stock but even the best cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear.
Try to take some time out to wander round and listen to what is being discussed at each tree. I actually think you can learn a lot more by paying attention to the other trees than just working on your own. Some workshops offer spaces for observers - people who don't have a tree to work on but who want to watch and learn. Note that observers are supposed to be just that. Butting in and adding unwanted advice is frowned on.

You will usually be expected to supply all your own tools, wire, etc but if your leader decides it requires a special tool you don't have more often than not someone else at the workshop will have one and offer to lend it.
A turntable makes working and designing easier.
Some wedges are often useful to set the pot at a new angle while you work.

Have fun.

Many thanks for this - very much appreciated, and very helpful.

Great point about listening to discussions with others. That would certainly multiply the insight that I could soak up. We'll see how long he will put up with having a "shadow" :).

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
something that is healthy and ready to be worked on
lots of healthy & material to work with.

Do notice these recommendations when thinking about what you want to bring. You would be surprised how often I have seen people bring plants that were recently dug. Most artists will tell you to not work that tree during the workshop..

If you do not have something to bring, you can also ask the host whether they have material there that you could purchase on the day. It is the least favorite route to take, because being "in a place of need" you have no pricepoint negotiation power :).

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Do notice these recommendations when thinking about what you want to bring. You would be surprised how often I have seen people bring plants that were recently dug. Most artists will tell you to not work that tree during the workshop..

If you do not have something to bring, you can also ask the host whether they have material there that you could purchase on the day. It is the least favorite route to take, because being "in a place of need" you have no pricepoint negotiation power :).

Good considerations. In this case I would exclude purchasing on the day also because of the lack of suitable material at the location where the workshop is taking place.

I have one tree with the right combination of factors that I could take, but will probably supplement that with at least another acquired tree. The good news is that I have about six weeks to look for something.

Thanks!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

Many thanks for these extremely pertinent links. A general apology to everyone - I could have searched for these myself before bothering everyone ... sorry!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Many thanks for these extremely pertinent links. A general apology to everyone - I could have searched for these myself before bothering everyone ... sorry!

No worries. New ideas always come out!

Those threads do contain good info though!

Sorce

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Expect to be told: “Your wiring is shitta!”

I would NOT wire my tree before going to the workshop. Because, you will spend all your time removing your wire! LOL!!!

Seriously, Mauro is good at teaching wiring. So, bring something that needs wiring! If you bring a conifer to work on, bring copper wire. Don’t bother with bringing aluminum. You want to learn how to do it right, bring the right stuff!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some good advice here. If it were me, I'd bring either my best tree, or the one that I'm having a hard time with. Definitely a conifer, as that's Mauro's forte. Bring backup trees in case you finish early.

I took a full day workshop with Jan Culek and brought a shimpaku I've had for 30 years, as I'd stared at it way too long and couldn't find a way to advance the design. It was a great experience. Jan is known for work with rock plantings and shimpakus, so his help was invaluable. Some people brought several trees, pretty common with workshops, but wiring my tree took the whole 9 hours, plus 4-5 more at home. If you have several trees that you need help with, bring them all!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Expect to be told: “Your wiring is shitta!”

I would NOT wire my tree before going to the workshop. Because, you will spend all your time removing your wire! LOL!!!

Seriously, Mauro is good at teaching wiring. So, bring something that needs wiring! If you bring a conifer to work on, bring copper wire. Don’t bother with bringing aluminum. You want to learn how to do it right, bring the right stuff!
:) I fully expect him to tell me that my wiring is shitta! I look forward to that ...

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Some good advice here. If it were me, I'd bring either my best tree, or the one that I'm having a hard time with. Definitely a conifer, as that's Mauro's forte. Bring backup trees in case you finish early.

I took a full day workshop with Jan Culek and brought a shimpaku I've had for 30 years, as I'd stared at it way too long and couldn't find a way to advance the design. It was a great experience. Jan is known for work with rock plantings and shimpakus, so his help was invaluable. Some people brought several trees, pretty common with workshops, but wiring my tree took the whole 9 hours, plus 4-5 more at home. If you have several trees that you need help with, bring them all!
Great advice. Thank you.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
:) I fully expect him to tell me that my wiring is shitta! I look forward to that ...
He was at the last Nationals show a couple years ago. And I had him look at one of my trees that I had wired. And I hoped to hear him say, “Your wiring is shitta!”, but he didn’t. He said it was good. What a disappointment! Lol!!!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Just to close off this thread ...

The workshop was scheduled for this weekend, but because of the COVID-19 lockdown it was cancelled. Maybe next year!

Top Bottom