What to look for when selecting a nursery stock maple?

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was at my local Home Depot this morning and they had a few maples on sale. They were small acres, larger ones where all grafted. What do you looks for when selecting a nursery stock? Do any of these have any potential?

Attachments

• 09C7A328-EC08-4DC1-9D90-1E7E452BBE9A.jpeg
    09C7A328-EC08-4DC1-9D90-1E7E452BBE9A.jpeg
    313 KB · Views: 120
  • 2872E10B-CECE-4059-9F6E-43818F1F1E50.jpeg
    2872E10B-CECE-4059-9F6E-43818F1F1E50.jpeg
    300.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 47911413-54C3-4F84-AFB4-E7FEE2B2DBDD.jpeg
    47911413-54C3-4F84-AFB4-E7FEE2B2DBDD.jpeg
    379.9 KB · Views: 115

Pj86

Yamadori
Reaction score
  1. Nebari
    • The second picture seems to have the best nebari. You will only be 100% certain once you repot it later down the road.
  2. Trunk thickness and movement
    • All the material have the same trunk. Will require at least 5 years to create trunk thickness and movement.
  3. Primary branch structure
    • None have usable primary branch structure, you will be starting from scratch.
  4. Secondary branch structure - unlikely to find good secondary structure on nursery stock.
Depending on what you want to achieve and expect, the material you posted will take anywhere from 5-10 years to enhance.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I look for large caliper trunks with some movement, cheap/ fire sale pricing, then research if it can be airlayered. Carry the nine, squint your left eye and flip a coin. Whatever you do, do not consult your partner

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
  1. Nebari
    • The second picture seems to have the best nebari. You will only be 100% certain once you repot it later down the road.
  2. Trunk thickness and movement
    • All the material have the same trunk. Will require at least 5 years to create trunk thickness and movement.
  3. Primary branch structure
    • None have usable primary branch structure, you will be starting from scratch.
  4. Secondary branch structure - unlikely to find good secondary structure on nursery stock.
Depending on what you want to achieve and expect, the material you posted will take anywhere from 5-10 years to enhance.

How do you create movement in the trunk without cutting it? Where can I find some good reference material on developing trees? I watched several videos on youtube and some are pot growing.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I been itching to get some of those trident seedlings from @William N. Valavanis , I think your money will be better spent there, and save you what can be mostly fruitless efforts at Home Depot searching for Maples.

I look for fat trunks with reggie Palmatum growing below the graft.

Not worried much about nebari since airlayer.

The "good stuff" goes in the garbage!

Sorce

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I been itching to get some of those trident seedlings from @William N. Valavanis , I think your money will be better spent there, and save you what can be mostly fruitless efforts at Home Depot searching for Maples.

I look for fat trunks with reggie Palmatum growing below the graft.

Not worried much about nebari since airlayer.

The "good stuff" goes in the garbage!

Sorce

Does he have a store? where does he list his trees?

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Health first.
Nebari/Movement second, almost everything else you will want to rebuild. Wouldn’t even bother with any sort of branching.

Truthfully, Nebari and movement can both be rebuilt as well, they just add another few years on the process (each)

ceriano

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Are the bare-root maples good for starting a forest? or still too small? These are the options he is offering:

10 Tree barerOOT Seedling bundle– 10-18”– $60 Free Shipping!
PRE-BONSAI– 4” POT, 10-12”– $25 Free Shipping!
5 TreeS in cOmmuniTy pOTS– 12-15”– $50 Free Shipping!
pre-bOnSai– 1 gal, 14-18”– $60 Free Shipping!

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
Lol I got $2 per seedling from someone on bonsai not which was $30 total for 11 Japanese maples lol. Not 60 !

Top Bottom