What Tools do you bring when collecting?

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
reciprocal saw
pruning scissors
shovel
small spade
sometimes (I don't know what you call it) a sort of long rebar with a point at the end.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I have a long master list somewhere. I'll find that and post it. At a minimum, however, I bring:
A shovel, reciprocating saw and folding hand saw, loppers, water, sphagnum moss and heavy duty black trash bags.

armetisius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sharp-shooter landscaping shovel;
folding saw; pry-bar; sharp lopping shears;
good sharp knife; water; plastic sheet/bags;
pre-dampened peat; sack lunch/human
hydration materials in whatever flavor/type
desired.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Somebody bigger and stronger then me;).

In all seriousness, a hand held saw, heavy duty branch loppers and a come along have helped me immensely when digging established landscape material. Fwiw, a lot depends on where and what you're collecting.

Last edited:

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
More like bar A (depends if digging zone is close to parking area) (maybe called digging bar??)
55e946ec4a276f956fab050da47e.jpg

Nwaite

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
More like bar A (depends if digging zone is close to parking area) (maybe called digging bar??)
55e946ec4a276f956fab050da47e.jpg
Ice chisel.

A hand saw.
What ever shovel the kids didn't take.
A small garden shovel an the ones with 3 prongs. Like a big fork.
Big snips for the roots.

And if I'm right around my own place the chainsaw.

Oh ya and the 2 most manly hands you have ever seen!

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Those are called ground breaking bars where I came from. Used in a lot of different trades, Landscape, Construction, Fencing, and more. The heavier ones with the chisel ends break stone in the ground nicely when dropped on it.

Grimmy

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What Tools do you bring when collecting? Thanks!

410 or a 9mm depending where you are going...

Oh, you meant collecting plants:rolleyes:

Well my list goes something like this -

Heavy leather gloves and Barn boots
Sharp heavy spade
Small garden spade
Large loppers with handle extensions
Small Loppers
Hand saws, Stanley Sharptooth series
Rope
A few gallons of water
Buckets and bags

Sometimes I add -
A chain saw
410 or 9mm
Pick axe

Grimmy

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've found that the large smart pots are very convenient for collecting, the ones with handles. they are expensive, but I got mine for free on the side of the road. been seriously looking into getting a metal framed backpack though, found some good deals on military surplus. I did hurt my back a few times this season carrying huge rootballs out the woods. An ice fishing sled would also be very valuable.. its the off season so they should be discounted right now.

Gunstock

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Shit I live in a residential county neighborhood ;) all I have to do is check the pile of stuff the cemetery crews clean up and leave in a pile. It's already harvested :cool:

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ...62993687&sr=8-1&keywords=metal+frame+backpack

I got this one and think it's pretty good for the price, however I've only used it on a couple trips so far.

I've found that the large smart pots are very convenient for collecting, the ones with handles. they are expensive, but I got mine for free on the side of the road. been seriously looking into getting a metal framed backpack though, found some good deals on military surplus. I did hurt my back a few times this season carrying huge rootballs out the woods. An ice fishing sled would also be very valuable.. its the off season so they should be discounted right now.

Waltron

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
its nice for sure. I found a military surplus ruck sack with frame for about $60..its used, but military quality.. thing is for trees you wont really need the pack, just need to strap the tree and baggged rootball to the frame, then what do you do with the pack? I keep a sling on my shovel. I was also looking into a trapper basket.. which might hold a tree..I find all kinds of cool shit in the woods. I got these giant logs that were sawed up by the farmer, they are hollow with about a perfect 20" circle in the middle, like 18" deep. me any buddy went and got 4 of them on a stick over our shoulders one day

Top Bottom