What tree is this?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I take a picture of this tree and wanted to know what it is. Also if this kind of tree are being used for bonsai

Attachments

• 20210506_092806.jpg
    20210506_092806.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 20210506_092826.jpg
    20210506_092826.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 73

hin175

Seedling
Reaction score
Fraxinus sp., ash tree. Depending of your location, it can be a species from the american part of the genus (section Melioides or Pauciflorae)...
If you can take a picture of the flowers, it could help ;-)

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Fraxinus sp., ash tree. Depending of your location, it can be a species from the american part of the genus (section Melioides or Pauciflorae)...
If you can take a picture of the flowers, it could help ;-)
I believe you, but I don’t see Fraxinus that look like THAT... all mine are compound-leaved... not ideal...

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Pretty confident that will be ash. The leaves pictured are not entire leaves which is probably causing some confusion.

Ash are usually dismissed as bonsai because of the larger compound leaves but some growers down here have made some really great bonsai. The bark gets character quite quick and trunks and branching develop fast here. They are defoliated before a show and shown just as the new leaves are emerging and can look stunning.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Pretty confident that will be ash. The leaves pictured are not entire leaves which is probably causing some confusion.

Ash are usually dismissed as bonsai because of the larger compound leaves but some growers down here have made some really great bonsai. The bark gets character quite quick and trunks and branching develop fast here. They are defoliated before a show and shown just as the new leaves are emerging and can look stunning.
Absolutely, the things I’ve seen done with Fraxinus is amazing! I, also, LOVE the bark.

I have a feeling, though,they are... different fraxinus then I have access to.

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey for those on this thread and OP, there's a really cool free app called LeafSnap I found out about a few months back that I use all the time. It's pretty accurate and can locate based off leaf, flower, bark, or fruit. It will also give you alternate plants it could be!

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hey for those on this thread and OP, there's a really cool free app called LeafSnap I found out about a few months back that I use all the time. It's pretty accurate and can locate based off leaf, flower, bark, or fruit. It will also give you alternate plants it could be!
Google Lens (baked into the Android camera app) is also remarkably effective.

ochong

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One other suggestion for plant identifying apps: PictureThis
It thinks it's a green ash.

Top Bottom