What type and size wire do you use to anchor trees into pots?

johnbaz

Mame
Reaction score
I have several thicknesses of the steel cored green plastic wire that works for me as it pulls down tightly when needed and never seems to rust!

John :)

jrcally

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Hi... Following this... Have a small Lowes garden center juniper ($15!) that I’m starting to cultivate as a primer. Shaping and cultivating slowly to be a bonsai. With respect to metals, copper vs aluminum vs galvanized? I have galvanized. I just want to make sure a metal won’t interact poorly with the tree if I wire to shape.

Attachments

• 21430E6D-5863-4562-9DE9-2ACB9251EEEF.jpeg
    21430E6D-5863-4562-9DE9-2ACB9251EEEF.jpeg
    232.5 KB · Views: 13

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi... Following this... Have a small Lowes garden center juniper ($15!) that I’m starting to cultivate as a primer. Shaping and cultivating slowly to be a bonsai. With respect to metals, copper vs aluminum vs galvanized? I have galvanized. I just want to make sure a metal won’t interact poorly with the tree if I wire to shape.
Can you provide what history you have with this juniper?
Time, time frames that you did what and so on and experience.

I'm assuming you're talking about wiring the branches and styling the juniper right? ("if I wire to shape")
You can use aluminum, and you probably should if you're unfamiliar with wiring branches
but copper works much better. Neither will interact poorly with any tree I'm familiar with
but Springtime is poor time to wire out a juniper as you'll have to remove the wire before
it puts on wood as it does. Now is not a bad time, but late Summer is better.
Avoid galvanized for styling. I can link you to ambonsaiwire@gmail.com for the best of service
and great product when it comes to copper wire, but I would use aluminum bonsai wire
and get several sizes whatever you do. 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3mm would be a good start but cant beat
copper to effectively wire larger bends than 3mm aluminum wire can handle.
Copper must be annealed and Jeremiah Adams there at gmail above does great work.
Just email him

Now is the time for hard pruning. I cut back 3 junipers very hard this time last year
and you'd never know it just to look at the new growth and where they are now.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I once used zip ties and a zip tie gun to secure a tree in a pot. It snugged it in pretty good. I usually galvanized steel wire.

jrcally

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

I'm assuming you're talking about wiring the branches and styling the juniper right? ("if I wire to shape")
You can use aluminum, and you probably should if you're unfamiliar with wiring branches
but copper works much better. Neither will interact poorly with any tree I'm familiar with
but Springtime is poor time to wire out a juniper as you'll have to remove the wire before
Avoid galvanized for styling. I can link you to ambonsaiwire@gmail.com for the best of service
and great product when it comes to copper wire, but I would use aluminum bonsai wire
and get several sizes whatever you do. 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3mm would be a good start but cant beat
Copper must be annealed and Jeremiah Adams there at gmail above does great work.
Just email him

Now is the time for hard pruning. I cut back 3 junipers very hard this time last year

I’ve had this juniper for about a month. And correct. Wiring to style and shape.

Definitely pruning but not too much as I want to leave top canopy for growth to maximize energy. Letting soil dry and then water. Gets great sun - at 6 hours a day S/SW.

Photo of my material is in my avatar.
Attaching photo for ref. Potential good nenbari but not repotting til 2021.

I just don’t want to use improper product if it will ruin or degrade its natural properties.

Attachments

• 127C36D5-2923-4A24-B769-81DF026B6D34.jpeg
    127C36D5-2923-4A24-B769-81DF026B6D34.jpeg
    236.8 KB · Views: 9

jrcally

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I once used zip ties and a zip tie gun to secure a tree in a pot. It snugged it in pretty good. I usually galvanized steel wire.

No ill effects on the tree with galvanized?

Attachments

• 3F06EA4F-20AA-47CC-91E6-1DD3187178C8.jpeg
    3F06EA4F-20AA-47CC-91E6-1DD3187178C8.jpeg
    353.5 KB · Views: 7

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was thinking about this thread today as I randomly grabbed whatever was available from the old used bucket.

If it's long enough it's good enough.

@jrcally as long as galvanized ain't touching copper, or brass, or aluminum etc....you should be alright.

But fuck galvanized. Earth hates it.

Sorce

jrcally

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I was thinking about this thread today as I randomly grabbed whatever was available from the old used bucket.

If it's long enough it's good enough.

@jrcally as long as galvanized ain't touching copper, or brass, or aluminum etc....you should be alright.

But fuck galvanized. Earth hates it.

Sorce

thank you! So if they interact there are adverse reactions based upon their chemical comp? Noted.
Will look for aluminum/copper only.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
thank you! So if they interact there are adverse reactions based upon their chemical comp? Noted.
Will look for aluminum/copper only.

These materials together and water can create a battery. I reckon the acids resulting are no good. Not positive...lol...but better safe than sorry!

Sorce

jrcally

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6

Just email him

Thank you, @Japonicus! Appreciate the tips and recos.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No ill effects on the tree with galvanized?
I have a spool of galvanized steel wire I used for guy wire.
It is not coated and turned scaly white-ish. I’m sure this
would leave a residue of the oxygenation on the bark when removed.
I just got a spool of 18 gauge from Lowe’s for picture frame hanging
but there’s a coated one better suited for guy wiring.

The BIG problem using galvanized wire is how springy it is.
You’ll do more damage to the size of branch the wire is sized to do.
This is important! It’s like trying to spread hard butter on bread.
It is not user or subject friendly. One who has wired for years could do it in a pinch
and curse.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Don't forget to turn the loose ends of the wire into a halfass loop so it doesn't poke you.
I always leave the little loop ....sorta... visible so I can find it for repotting.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have been using twine for this purpose for over 7 years without any problems. It depends on the tree. If I think the tree will not be stabilized well in the pot, then I will use aluminum wire, otherwise twine is an excellent source. It will be decayed in 3 -4 months, by that time the rootage is already established and the tree is stable on its own. Twine is much cheaper and good for environment. If one is not sure about the twine, he/she can try it on the unimportant tree first and see if it is OK to be used.
Thụ Thoại

Top Bottom