What type of average trees can you use for Bonsai?

copley_amber

Seedling
Reaction score
I'm new to doing this and I would like to try using an average tree if it's at all possible, does anyone know of any?

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Almost any tree can become a bonsai. However, not all trees should and some species make better candidates than others. Juniper and elm can become good bonsai. I would recommend you do a little research before you begin. Study the 5 styles of bonsai.. formal, informal, slant, semi cascade and cascade. You cannot really begin bonsai unless you are at least a little familar with these styles. Also, different species require different pruning techniques. I would try to find a local bonsai club. This way, someone can show you how to prune the species of tree you have. Also, reading some books might be a good start.

I hope this was helpful.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Some trees have foliage, such as some junipers, that are already pretty small and make them good cadidates for bonsai. Leaf size is a factor. However, in many cases, artists work with the tree and reduce the leaf size over a period of years. Some trees will not reduce by much, but some species leaves can be reduced to just a fraction of what they would normally be. Leaf and needle reduction in some trees can take many years before the desired results are achieved. I would recommend starting with a juniper. They naturally have smaller foliage. However, like all species, there is a certain way to prune. Improper pruning can lead to ruining the tree, killing sections of the tree or even killing the tree all together.

The best route is, as mentioned, get familar with the 5 styles, then find a club and/or book. After you are familar with the styles.. Stone Lantern company sells and excellent book on the care of styling of junipers. It is not expensive and very thorough.

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
p.s. Location makes a big difference..as well as what your home set up is like..

copley_amber

Seedling
Reaction score
As of right now I really don't have the funds to get a Juniper, I wanted to possible practice on a regular Maple Seedling..and thank you so much for helping me and giving advice.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
You can get a Juniper for $5 at a big box hardware store - not the best material, but I'm just pointing out that you probably can afford junipers. Maples in general are definitely good candidates for bonsai. If you do start with a seedling, you'll need some patience.

Last edited:

HotAction

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where are you located? Your regular maple may be quite different from mine.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
The other thing that will help is to look around and notice what is commonly used for landscape in your area. Also, what species grow wild near you? There is a fairly new person on the board that has started with really good material by digging out shrubs that others were just going to throw away. That is a great way to get good stuff for free.

Do update your location because what grows for HotAction would likely not do well for me here in Nevada. If we know where you are we can give you better advice. Oh and welcome!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is a fairly new person on the board that has started with really good material by digging out shrubs that others were just going to throw away. That is a great way to get good stuff for free.
That could be me :D and yes I agree that it is a great way to get nice free materials...you just need to put some sweat equity. That said, the prime time for collecting (at least in my area) is over and I have to wait for next spring again.

More than half of what's in the pics here are collected for free... http://bonsainut.com/forums/showthread.php?7700-My-plant-collection-(WARNING-picture-heavy)

Last edited:

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The first six posts in this thread have no location identified. Is there some reason people can't at least fill in the state they live in under "Location" in their profile? It's often a pretty important thing to be aware of when responding to someone.

Sheesh. :mad:

Top Bottom