What type of Azaelea is this?

TeKmInIbI

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
I'm curious, because i got it as a gift.. it has two trunks which i don't particularily like (I'm hoping if atall possible, it's two seperate plants that i can grow out next year) but i love the flowers!
Any ideas on what to do with it? When do i cut it back (i already repotted) when do i feed etc?
All i know is that it is some type of Azaelea, it gets cold here in the winter... do they need wintering or do i bring it inside?
I don't know anything about these so please if you have any input i would appreciate it.

DSCF0021-1.jpg

DSCF0022-1.jpg

DSCF0023-2.jpg

DSCF0024-2.jpg

Any ideas on how to thicken the trunk?

shohin kid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you know if this is a satsuki azalea?

The reason I ask is because if we know what type of azalea we could probably identify the hybrid, but if not, this tree would be very hard to identify. I have a book that has most hybrids listed of every type of azalea. The book is 500 pages, with app. 30 different hybrids on each page. Now you can see why knowing the type of azalea is important.

Azaleas should be repotted after flowering. Azaleas like to be in acidic soil. Kanuma works best. Pruning should also be done after blooming. Remove withered flowers. When removing flowers, be sure to remove the ovaries. Biogold fertilizer works good on azalea bonsai, in my experience. When flowering, keep in shade and do not mist or let it be rained on. Cuttings root very easilly. Don't remove new growth until it becomes woody. Be careful not to overwater, satsukis are prone to root rot. Keep soil moist but not soggy. I do not know about the soil you put it in. Never tried a mix like that for azaleas. To thicken the trunk, either plant it in the ground, depending on where you live, or put it into a large growing pot, which it appears to be in. I suggest you buy an azalea book by alexander kennedy, http://www.cornwall-bonsai-society.co.uk/AlexFirstBook.JPG , like that one.

Post a good pic of the flowers when they open.

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The origin might help

It might help to determine if this is a satsuki if you knew where it was purchased.

Satsuki are sometimes sold in supermarkets and at greenhouses, much like tropical plants. Hardier Landscape azaleas are sold, well, with other landscaping plants.

Top Bottom