What type of azalea media (substrate) do you use?

What type of media (substrate) do you use for your Azalea? Select top 3 components

• Kanuma

Votes: 41 65.1%
  • Akadama

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Peat

• Bark

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Lava

• Pumice

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Turface or similar

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Potting soil (any type)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Perlite

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • Compost

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi All 'Nuts!

I'd like to get some help from all of you that have evergreen azaleas. In this poll I'm trying to get a handle on what media components folks pot their evergreen azalea in.

Please list your top three components if you are using a mix. If you use more than 3 components, do not list the components of your drainage layer (if you use one).

If one or more of your components are not listed in this survey, please respond to this message with the additional data.

This data will be used as information in a "Soils used by members" section in an upcoming version of the Evergreen Azalea Resource Guide. I'll also post the compiled results. Sorry. I'm limited to ten selections.

Thank you all so much! :)
DSD sends

Last edited:

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
We don't have Kanuma available in Brazil, so I use a mix of 50% Perlite+50% Peat, Akadama, and pine bark. So it would make 4 components on your list.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I use 3 "mixes" depending on the size and development of my azaleas.

100% Kanuma - topped with long fiber sphagnum, to hold the kanuma in place - this is for my most developed azaleas in bonsai pots.

50% Kanuma, 50% perlite - this is for younger material in training in larger plastic pots. Perlite and Kanuma are about the same weight and particle size, sometimes I will use pumice if I don't have the right size perlite. Functionally they are the same mix. Top with long fiber sphagnum to hold the light media in place.

50% Bark, 45% Peat, 5% hardwood sawdust - this is my blueberry mix, the hardwood sawdust is to feed the endo-mycorrhiza that blueberry has. Since I keep it on hand for the blueberries, it is a good mix for rooting azalea cuttings and for the "nursery phase" of growing out azaleas until they are physically large enough to think about styling. To this mix I will sometimes add Pumice, or Perlite and or Diatomaceous Earth, to make a more free draining mix for nursery pots in larger sizes.

Peat mixes will compact if you dry them out, and rewetting the peat based mix does not cause the mix to expand. It is crucial you never dry out a peat based mix, repeated cycles of drying out a peat mix will result in a hard rock of peat muck with zero air voids and anoxic conditions for your roots.

Using humic and fulvic acid organics, ie kelp and other organic elixirs, does help the peat based mixes to slow compaction.

Peat based mixes normally require repotting every 2 to 3 years even if you never dry them out hard.

Kanuma 100% or as a mix can last many, many years if you start with the hard grade, when available.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
LOL, if Kanuma would have been on the list 3 times, I would have checked it 3 times.
I use it for all azaleas in every stage of development straight up. 2 sizes though, larger for drainage, (thin layer) and smaller on top.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank you! I'll include this data.
best,
DSD sends
Hi All 'Nuts!

I'd like to get some help from all of you that have evergreen azaleas. In this poll I'm trying to get a handle on what media components folks pot their evergreen azalea in.

Please list your top three components if you are using a mix. If you use more than 3 components, do not list the components of your drainage layer (if you use one).

If one or more of your components are not listed in this survey, please respond to this message with the additional data.

This data will be used as information in a "Soils used by members" section in an upcoming version of the Evergreen Azalea Resource Guide. I'll also post the compiled results. Sorry. I'm limited to ten selections.

Thank you all so much! :)
DSD sends
Hi,
I already selected the components of my soil, but two ingredients are not listed.
I use a mix of Kanuma/akadama/sphagnum/biochar - 2/2/1/1
The sphagnum is not the sphagnum as top layer... there's also sphagnum in my mix

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
All my azaleas are in the same potting mix I use for all the other trees - composted pine bark 6mm and propagating sand 3-6mm with added nutrients, dolomite, etc.
They seem to do well enough in that mix there does not seem to be any need for expensive imported soil.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All my azaleas are in the same potting mix I use for all the other trees - composted pine bark 6mm and propagating sand 3-6mm with added nutrients, dolomite, etc.
They seem to do well enough in that mix there does not seem to be any need for expensive imported soil.
What do you fertilize with mate?

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
There is controlled release in the mix before potting then they get general liquid fert every few weeks from spring through to late summer while they are growing then a 'flowering' liquid fert every 2-3 weeks until winter to help with flower set and occasional doses of the same through until flowering in spring. I have also been known to sprinkle a small handful of 'azalea' compounded fert on the pots a couple of times through summer.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
it helps, mightily, if you list the time, you have been growing
these azaleas for, in your soil mixes.

IMGP3476.JPG

IMGP3588.JPG

These are 2 of the more advanced azaleas I have been growing since we moved to the new place - about 15 years now.
They just would not stay alive at the previous property. The only difference seems to be the water.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Shibui said:
They just would not stay alive at the previous property. The only difference seems to be the water.

Ah, I had the same issue.
Hard water in my previous home and no Azaleas survived there.
Now they thrive in our new place.

Sunwyrm

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Also using Napa8822.
DE is not one of your choices.

I am using 2 parts DE (NAPA #8822) and 1 part peat moss.
I am in no way advocating this mix.

Another NAPA user here! Unsifted with sphagnum moss on top. First year doing it with all my trees, so I doubt my opinion counts, but I'm happy with it so far.

Top Bottom