what type of bonsai is mine

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
juniper procumbens nana.
Some are sold as indoor trees but they are definitely not.
Good luck! And welcome.

Nicolas1219

Sapling
Reaction score
are they good bonsai, what size do they get, and are they a good bonsai overall. I just want some more info because I know almost nothing about bonsai.

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
are they good bonsai, what size do they get, and are they a good bonsai overall. I just want some more info because I know almost nothing about bonsai.

Junipers can definitely make good bonsai, and can get pretty big. They are very simple as long as you care for them properly (keep them outdoors, water when dry, ect.) Don't prune until you know how, and take the moss and rock off, they don't help the tree at all.

Good luck and welcome to Bnut!

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That Juniper is a good species for bonsai. Unfortunately what you bought is not much more than a small seedling.I dont see much a trunk. It is going to need a few years of just growing (outside) to get a trunk established. Think bigger pot and no pruning until it really much bigger only then can you start thinking about styling as a bonsai. You dont say where you are from but you usually can get bigger and cheaper junipers if you look for ones not labelled "bonsai." Ironically these will closer to being a bonsai.

Nicolas1219

Sapling
Reaction score
Junipers can definitely make good bonsai, and can get pretty big. They are very simple as long as you care for them properly (keep them outdoors, water when dry, ect.) Don't prune until you know how, and take the moss and rock off, they don't help the tree at all.

Good luck and welcome to Bnut!
And I looked up it said moss is good for keeping in moisture on bonsai

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
And I looked up it said moss is good for keeping in moisture on bonsai

Depends, it can also suck all the water out of the soil. But that probably won't happen. You could leave it, but check under the soil first.

JosephCooper

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
do you have any tips

First, if you have a bonsai nursery nearby, check it out!

Look at bonsai all over the internet, read books on bonsai, and look around on this site!

Also, waiting is the most important part in bonsai, patience is key.

There are many people with much better information than me as well.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Keeping alive is first priority. Check is there drainage hole in bottom of pot? Either way get into bigger pot for growing, developing trunk. Do not worry about bonsai pot or wiring yet as is too small tree, unneeded expense. Check local Bonsai nursery as suggested for substrate in new pot;). Also please add location to profile for good advice.

Nicolas1219

Sapling
Reaction score
Keeping alive is first priority. Check is there drainage hole in bottom of pot? Either way get into bigger pot for growing, developing trunk. Do not worry about bonsai pot or wiring yet as is too small tree, unneeded expense. Check local Bonsai nursery as suggested for substrate in new pot;). Also please add location to profile for good advice.
Yes the pot has drainage holes

coltranem

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
But does it have potential to become a double trunk bonsai
It is a seedling it has the potential to be anything. However it needs time and space to grow and by time I mean years. If you are interested in bonsai read around on this site. Look into a local club or classes.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Tip when you start:

Use the search feature here and search for any questions that come to mind. This forum is priceless.

2nd Best Tip:

GO BUY MORE TREES!!!!!! Trust me, this will keep your impatience with each at bay and give you more to work on and learn. this one will take many years to get to where you would like it to be. Fastest way is plant it in the ground!
Many a Bonsai die from over care. Don't over do it! And if you live in FL that thing should never come inside :)

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
That Juniper is a good species for bonsai. Unfortunately what you bought is not much more than a small seedling.I dont see much a trunk. It is going to need a few years of just growing (outside) to get a trunk established. Think bigger pot and no pruning until it really much bigger only then can you start thinking about styling as a bonsai. You dont say where you are from but you usually can get bigger and cheaper junipers if you look for ones not labelled "bonsai." Ironically these will closer to being a bonsai.
It's probably a rooted cutting. It costs to much money to grow these things from seed, cuttings are far more cost effective.

Nicolas1219

Sapling
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best Tip when you start:

Use the search feature here and search for any questions that come to mind. This forum is priceless.

2nd Best Tip:

GO BUY MORE TREES!!!!!! Trust me, this will keep your impatience with each at bay and give you more to work on and learn. this one will take many years to get to where you would like it to be. Fastest way is plant it in the ground!
Many a Bonsai die from over care. Don't over do it! And if you live in FL that thing should never come inside :) is it good looking so far

Top Bottom