What type of bonsai tree is this

Bukic

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently i bought bonsai tree but i have no clue what type of bonsai it is... but for me it looks like leafs are falling not looking good.. I keep it inside, watering in small amount every day but water is going quick through the wholes.. Do I need to buy bigger pot or something or maybe add more soil? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 7Y9P0uRw.jpeg
    7Y9P0uRw.jpeg
    175.8 KB · Views: 113
  • -9oWn-IA.jpeg
    -9oWn-IA.jpeg
    128.5 KB · Views: 109
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Try putting it outside. most trees labeled indoor are false and 100% always end up dead within weeks. Very few trees grow indoors and most are not vigorous enough to make into a bonsai.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I would keep it outside permanently. During winters you might have to protect it from frosts. I don't know what kind of tree it is honestly, and I don't know the climate you live in.
If it does get healthy and you try to keep it indoors again, it will need LOTS of light and some decent air flow. But idealy outside is best especially if you wish to grow and develop the tree into a mature looking bonsai.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Greetings, Fellow Tiny-Tree Person.. come in and train some Woody Dwarves!

Looks like a Persimmon to me.. or a Holly.. but I can’t REEEALLY be sure.

@ihaveaspaceship definitely gave you some sound advice. Outdoors if you are able.. SOME species are able to withstand “Indoor environments” for PART of the year, even WITH these species, artificial light and humidity augmentation (at least) is required for even moderate success.

Once someone “swings through” with a positive ID... it’ll be easier to address this plant’s specific needs.

(If you go ahead and update your profile info to reflect a general location ((can be vague, mine says, “NorthEastern Wisconsin”)) of your climate zone, better advice can be offered, as well)

Bukic

Seedling
Reaction score
@ihaveaspaceship I see, will leave it for a while on balcony.. About climate it is pretty much hot and dry summers and not much cold winters 😁 anyway i can say that there is not too much light on inside where i keep my bonsai..

Bukic

Seedling
Reaction score
@HorseloverFat thanks, just updated my location! Anyway as mentioned in previous post i can put it on my balcony without changing pot and soil to see what will happen.. Anyway on balcony lighting will be better and will put water every day cause it is summer and it is hot.. 😁

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Might be a record for lousy photo of the year. Probably should be resubmitted as, "Where should bury this dead tree?"

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Click on your Icon in the upper right hand corner and enter your location, then people will be able to give you more specific info suitable for where you are. This is a world-wide forum.

You need to tell us what conditions this tree was in when you bought it. Indoors, outdoors in sun or shade? How many other trees/kinds of trees were for sale?

BajaKen

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
@Forsoothe! Lol..so you are saying it is dead not chance at all? 😔 I have this only 2 weeks.. Maybe i made mistake while buying cause not too much experience with bonsai.. 😁
Hello, fellow seedling! I'm new too, but the first and perhaps the easiest lesson is that we may call it "Bonsai" but essentially it's a "tree." Most trees in nature like sunshine, fresh air, adequate water, and often, fertilizer. My first tree, a Fukien Tea, had a reputation for being difficult so I spent a lot of time staring at it! But I got to where I could spot any sign of dryness, new growth, limpness, bugs, etc. Trees drop leaves naturally, but I was counting them, and if the number increased I would stare even longer to figure out why! Yeah, sounds paranoid I know, but it was a gift so I was determined not to kill it.

Anyway, know your tree. I wouldn't repot or disturb the roots. Monitor moisture closely, fertilize, and keep it outside, but not in direct sun given the temps you cite. I don't think it likes days on end of interior airconditioning and no sun. It may or may not die, or it may already be dead. But use it as a learning experience. Next time, know what kind of tree you have so you can learn/plan how to take care of it properly, but don't stop!

Bukic

Seedling
Reaction score
Click on your Icon in the upper right hand corner and enter your location, then people will be able to give you more specific info suitable for where you are. This is a world-wide forum.

You need to tell us what conditions this tree was in when you bought it. Indoors, outdoors in sun or shade? How many other trees/kinds of trees were for sale?
Updates my location! Well it was store with many other trees, there were basically 20 like this and some other like ficus i think.. About condition.. It was similar like this maybe tiny little better..

Bukic

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello, fellow seedling! I'm new too, but the first and perhaps the easiest lesson is that we may call it "Bonsai" but essentially it's a "tree." Most trees in nature like sunshine, fresh air, adequate water, and often, fertilizer. My first tree, a Fukien Tea, had a reputation for being difficult so I spent a lot of time staring at it! But I got to where I could spot any sign of dryness, new growth, limpness, bugs, etc. Trees drop leaves naturally, but I was counting them, and if the number increased I would stare even longer to figure out why! Yeah, sounds paranoid I know, but it was a gift so I was determined not to kill it.

Anyway, know your tree. I wouldn't repot or disturb the roots. Monitor moisture closely, fertilize, and keep it outside,Monitor moisture closely, fertilize, and keep it outside, but not in direct sun given the temps you cite. I don't think it likes days on end of interior airconditioning and no sun. It may or may not die, or it may already be dead. But use it as a learning experience. Next time, know what kind of tree you have so you can learn/plan how to take care of it properly, but don't stop!
Thanks!! Yeah it is my first tree so.. Will be more careful next time.. For now will keep it outside and see for any changes..

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Updates my location! Well it was store with many other trees, there were basically 20 like this and some other like ficus i think.. About condition.. It was similar like this maybe tiny little better..
Indoor showroom with lots of trees? Not a greenhouse?

Bukic

Seedling
Reaction score
@Forsoothe! Yup indore store where there is everything like for kitchen, garden, bathroom.. Etc.. There was one part of this store with trees but they were also inside not exposed on sun or anything... No it was not greenhouse and i think that was my mistake.. Why not buy from greenhouse 😕

Last edited:

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
The leaves in the first picture look like fukien tea to me also. Just not a good choice for your first tree, or ever in my limited experience. They are very fickle, pretty much hate everything and everybody. Some people have luck with them, I am not in that group.

Top Bottom