What type of bonsai treee do i have?

Dsullen86

Seed
Reaction score
Hi I am trying to figure out what type of bonsai tree I have but cant say for sure. Plz help thnx!20200413_221431.jpg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Weelcomee to Crazy!

It is a Fukieen Teea Treee!

Sorce

Dsullen86

Seed
Reaction score
I looked up fukeein tea tree but the leaves on that look a little different so I wasnt sure if it's because it's still young or what. So I took a closer pic of the leaves to show.20200414_084620.jpg

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They only resemble FT, they may be another species of Carmona that I have never seen. The leaves are too long and the wrong green. These shown are young leaves with less teeth on the end...
FT cuttings 20171217_153612.jpg

FT Leaf ID.JPG
In fact, it looks more like Forsythia. The thickness of the leaf and the dark color are the most desirable characteristics of FT. Are the stems hollow?

Dsullen86

Seed
Reaction score
Yea I thought so the leaf characteristics were different. How can I tell if the stems are hollow?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7/8
I've actually had a few leaves on my carmona look similar, the long shoot in the middle of the first image doesn't look that carmona to me but I think it is a fukien.

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Slice a twig radially and look into the end. It would be obvious on an older branch inbetween, not at the nodes. (Leaves grow out of nodes)

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Forsythia have more and finer serrations.
Out of curiosity: Where did you get the tree? How long have you had it? What are your lighting conditions?
Still think it's Carmona Microphylla

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You can expect some variation on the basic theme in any plant, and you seem to have more than typical, but FT are well know to punish owners for moving them around, or otherwise disturbing their environment. Get used to it. You have a new master.

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You can expect some variation on the basic theme in any plant, and you seem to have more than typical, but FT are well know to punish owners for moving them around, or otherwise disturbing their environment. Get used to it. You have a new master.
Lol... not sure if that was intended for the op or me, but mine are doing wonderful. I had them inside over winter and they grew out a foot and a half. Pruned early spring and moved them out when temps were good and they need pruning again. You don't persist in this hobby without knowing the trees are going to have some demands that you need to meet. hehe
My point is that this plant has a variation in leaf appearance. From smooth to 3 serration to 5 serration maybe even 4 serration. Also the deep green color and thickness of the cuticle comes with leaf age. The middle leaf in my photo grew in last year while the other 2 are new.

Top Bottom