What type of Ficus is this?

Reaction score
Hello. I am very much brand new to Bonsai and in need of identifying this Ficus. I bought it at a Bonzai exhibit at Balboa Park in San Diego, CA. I am really exited to get into this hobby and would like any quick guidelines and information to this genus.

9a982db1.jpg

4ccd95c8.jpg

1dbf407f.jpg

d210dcd9.jpg

I appreciate all your help and look forward to your feedback =]

Kirk

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It looks like a Ficus microcarpa- 'Green Island' fig.

Kirk

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
You should keep it outside until the overnight low gets down to around 40F. Be careful not to overwater if you're going to leave it in that soil. Keep it moist but not wet.

Next spring, if it's still healthy, you can repot and prune the whole top off. Microcarpa will backbud well.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It looks like a Ficus microcarpa- 'Green Island' fig.

Kirk

Not sure about the Green Island part. I'd say more Ficus m. 'Tigerbark'. Green Island has rounder, waxier leaves.

Reaction score
i was told by someone at the exhibit that it might be called "ficus retusa nitida". not sure how accurate that might be? i googled it and the pictures dont quite resemble mine.

but i just googled "ficus tigerbark" and that looks more like mine. but i was wondering, does it matter what genus mine is or do all ficus in general have the same care techniques? still, i'd like to know which ficus i actually have

Reaction score
Kirk is correct here, it is a 'Green Island' fig.
What gives it away is the multiple budding at the base of the leaves.

Reaction score
I have retusa, green island, and tiger bark... when they are young, they often look very similar.

Reaction score
kristonenicolas, I am assuming you live in southern cali. In your profile you sould state where you are from, so when you ask for advice, we will all know your type of weather conditions.
As far as your plant... it needs to go outside, in the partial sun.
Next spring, it should probally be repotted in a shallower pot, with a more free draining type soil.
Other than that, make sure it is not exposed to temps below 50, which is probally not a problem in san diego.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Yes it is. I was wondering if I could split them? If so how many trees could be in one pot?

Yea I would certainly think you could separate them at repot. Or a forest planting I guess, even so I would probably want to develop them in separate containers.

Reaction score
next spring, take it out of the pot and hose all the soil off the roots, then gently seperated the trees...
I personally would not do a forest planting with green island.

If one wanted too ... you might wrap them all together, as tight as possible with green plastic landscape tape, and replant them, this will allow them all to fuse together, forming one thick trunk. In no time you will be on your way to a nice tree.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If one wanted too ... you might wrap them all together, as tight as possible with green plastic landscape tape, and replant them, this will allow them all to fuse together, forming one thick trunk. In no time you will be on your way to a nice tree.

I was wondering if that would be a good idea. Had the same thought.

Reaction score
i was thinking of that also.

with the three little ones, my gf is wondering if it's possible to braid them?

with the other 4 i'm planning on fusing three and then keeping one by itself.

Top Bottom