What type of live moss if ideal for bonsai pots?

dvsrk563

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hi 👋,

I have recently collected live moss(attached) to stuff my bonsai pots, I’m not sure if I could use this moss without causing any harm to the bonsai.
In general any ideal live moss is suggested for bonsai pots or what I have should be fine?

thank you.

Attachments

• 9C21ECFC-48B4-4301-8A19-D9B50D8B5E13.jpeg
    9C21ECFC-48B4-4301-8A19-D9B50D8B5E13.jpeg
    250.8 KB · Views: 35
  • C581E1DE-64CA-4304-ACFC-5707DC73D877.jpeg
    C581E1DE-64CA-4304-ACFC-5707DC73D877.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 36

Dr_Fud

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most moss I’ve tried to collect doesn’t last long unfortunately. Sometimes you get lucky with the genetics and they take the pot and survive. (Survive means it’s still growing after a whole season) I’ve also found harvesting moss that’s growing in the same conditions as where your pots are going be helps a lot (in my case I look for moss in that exposed to the most sun).

Dr_Fud

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No moss isn’t going to kill your bonsai, at most will just take nutrients and you will need to repot 6 months sooner than planned, but even that is extra.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The only way moss really causes harm to bonsai is for the owner to concentrate on caring for the moss instead of the tree. Moss is NOT a permanent piece of a bonsai. It is temporary and comes and goes. Attempting to keep it on the surface 365 days a year will kill your tree. Moss needs moisture and fairly fine soil underneath it to support it. Those conditions aren't what the tree needs.

Moss will come and go ON ITS OWN on your tree. That is the best kind of moss, because it has adapted to the conditions and not vice versa. The moss you have collected is forest moss and is unlikely to survive for very long in a bonsai pot.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Just questioning the term you used - 'stuff my bonsai pots'
What are you actually using the moss for? Tree roots grow better in proper bonsai soil so we don't actually plant the bonsai in moss.
Moss can be used for several different reasons:
#1 decorative - Use a really low growing moss growing on the surface to make the scene look like a big tree growing in a grassy field. The long, coarse growing moss you have collected will not give a good look as the 'grass' will grow to half the height of the 'tree'
#2 Protect the soil. moss helps stop the soil washing away when you water. Any moss can be used. Long fibre sphagnum is usually the choice but any coarse moss will do the same thing.
#3 Retain moisture and provide mulch. Many growers spread sphagnum moss on the surface after repotting. It helps hold water and protects the soil from sun until the new roots grow. Again, any moss will do but you may have a bit more than necessary. You will need to check soil moisture to work out when to water. Just a sprinkle of moss would be better IMHO.

A. Gorilla

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Short answer...the tight grained moss found between sidewalk cracks in sunny places.

That is likely to do ok.

Whatever you are doing now is not going to achieve what you are probably imagining.

Top Bottom