What Variety of Plum tree should I be looking at .

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
What Variety of Plum tree should I be looking at for eating and Bonsai tree

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Do you want to eat the fruit of a bonsai plum tree? Not likely to get much of a feed!
All fruiting species can be used for bonsai and the fruit eaten. Larger fruit species don't look so good as bonsai while the fruit are on the tree though.
I've never eaten Prunus mume so cannot comment on palatability. Not all Asian fruits suit Western palates.
Prunus spinosa makes good bonsai and fruit are edible, usually used for jams though.
We collect many feral plums, mostly P. cerasifera or P. nigra. Both have small fruit and are usually used for jams but both are eaten by birds and small children (no indication of palatability though)

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I do not know Omega but a search shows it to be a Japanese blood plum variety.
Any plum will grow in a container and I cannot see why Omega would be an exception.
Note that most sources of fruiting trees will be grafted, sometimes reasonably high up on the root stock which may not be so good for bonsai.
Blood plums tend to be vigorous with long internodes so getting a really good bonsai style may be difficult. Ripening a good crop of plums on a small bonsai in a smaller container may also be a challenge for you and the tree but if you are really just after a fruit tree in a pot there's no problem.

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I think I’ll work with the Omega variety as we are limited to what we can get down under here in New Zealand .Omega is one of the best eating varieties (my father owned a fruit shop for 15 years ) beautiful red flesh and delicious favour is what I remember .

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I’ll work with the Omega variety as we are limited to what we can get down under here in New Zealand .Omega is one of the best eating varieties (my father owned a fruit shop for 15 years ) beautiful red flesh and delicious favour is what I remember .
You're not going to get much fruit on a plum kept as bonsai. You will be lucky to get one or two edible plums every year from a bonsai because of the pruning needed to keep it as a bonsai. If you want to grow containerized plums for the fruit, applying bonsai techniques will be counterproductive. Allowing the tree to grow will produce the fruit more reliably. So, it's in practicality, it's one or the other, bonsai or containerized fruit producer...

Natal plum (carissa macrocarpa) has long been used for bonsai. It's a subtropical native to Natal South Africa and used as hedging material in California and Florida and other warm winter areas. It's not a true plum), though, but it's tough when it comes to hard pruning and bonsai culture. In my experience, it reliably produces small edible fruit from summer into winter--although the plums are not all that tasty. Hard pruning can actually stimulate blooms and fruiting...

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Not to worried about the fruit just trying to do with what is available here down under

Pixar

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I’m surround by Kiwifruit farms all around this area . New Zealand is a main exporter of the stuff

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do people eat the fruit of Prunus mume? I cant recall even seeing a picture of the fruit.
I cant think of a Prunus that people eat that would make a good bonsai

I know American apricot dont make good bonsai but people do eat those

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Only certain varieties available in New Zealand
Only certain varieties available through commercial growers. Damsons are available but not sold commercially as most modern consumers don't want to use smaller fruit.
A quick search shows a few alternative/organic growers offering fruit and/or trees for sale.
Damsons naturalize and end up growing around old farms and along roadsides. If you know what to look for they are free and you can select larger trunks.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do people eat the fruit of Prunus mume? I cant recall even seeing a picture of the fruit.
I cant think of a Prunus that people eat that would make a good bonsai

I know American apricot dont make good bonsai but people do eat those
They make good dried apricots though they're not bred for overwhelming sweetness like other contemporary choices. Clicio was pretty much spot on, Umeboshi or Umeshu are the primary uses for the fruits. If you haven't tried it, personally I think Joto's brand of umeshu is really easy drinking.

Top Bottom