What were your stupid beginner mistakes ?

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
I’ve had bonsai trees for only 2 years and found out that I think it could be my passion this summer. I had made many mistakes and wanted to know what yours are !

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I didn't use google 🤣

But in all seriousness, I've been playing around with plants since 2004. My biggest mistake was to forget about that "The best time to plant a tree is twenty years ago".
Second biggest was to yank one of the best yamadori trees I've ever seen from the dirt without thinking, then seeing the root system and thinking it wouldn't survive, so I put it back. Then a year later, it was happy and alive and when I snuck out in the night to go and get it, someone else seems to have taken it.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I've kept bonsai for a few years so I'm still new.

Impatience is a good one to call out. That one always gets me.

Maybe being too precious about trees? Trees are going to die, especially when you first start with them, or change dramatically over the years. I like hands on learning and my early attempts at wiring and shaping were really poor, but I'm getting better. Getting too hung up on This One Tree That Needs To Live Forever makes it harder to be willing to experiment and make mistakes to learn from such as these.

So I suppose another mistake would be trying to make a lists of mistakes to avoid. Which is sort of trite, but it's true, I'm starting to learn.

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Waiting wayyy to long to take my first bonsai class/workshop. it's really intimidating and it sucks to be the least talented guy in the room (and I'm used to that!) but it instantly makes you and your trees better. Countless awesome dudes have told me the same thing. The second they sought out classes their art leveled up. Going to shows is important too, but not as important IMO.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Waiting wayyy to long to take my first bonsai class/workshop. it's really intimidating and it sucks to be the least talented guy in the room (and I'm used to that!) but it instantly makes you and your trees better. Countless awesome dudes have told me the same thing. The second they sought out classes their art leveled up. Going to shows is important too, but not as important IMO.

Thats odd because ive still never been to a workshop or club. tbh i find that many old timers are set in their ways and have no desire to change, what many would deem as a good tree or a good 'style' might not be my cup of tea. so no i dont believe it is necessary to join a club or workshop to create good trees, there are other avenues, to each their own though. whatever works for you, some people need the extra hand on shoulder so to speak.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Beginner mistakes:
(1) Not taking enough workshops / classes
(2) Not joining a bonsai society
(3) Not listening to people with decades of experience when they say "do it this way". You waste so much time trying to learn on your own what they already know.

:)

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Beginner mistakes:
(1) Not taking enough workshops / classes
(2) Not joining a bonsai society
(3) Not listening to people with decades of experience when they say "do it this way". You waste so much time trying to learn on your own what they already know.

:)
you can find all that online😊

i mean even the basic stuff can be found on sites like bonsai4me

its perfectly fine to make a few hiccups as you embark on your journey, all part of the curve. i think thats like most things in life.
There are millionaires who never spent a day in college or university.self taught.
you can become a whizz in the stockmarket just by studying videos on youtube, times are changing, theyve been changing.

Last edited:

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I’ll let you know when I STOP making them...

;)

In reality.. and for the sake of “the viewers at home. 🤣”... Thinking trees could be tricked into “all-year summer”... My obsession started in a Fall.. so I attempted to keep my trees... even locals.. indoors... this lasted till mid-January when some where CLEARLY struggling, and I had more information under my belt, so I two-stepped them outdoors over a 2-week period...So basically NOT realizing the simple fact that there exist no “indoor trees”.

Within THAT mistake came this one: Using heavily organic soils indoors.... Many problems there, specifically. 🤣

Also... using HEAVILY organic soils at ALL, i guess I look back on as a “mistake”.

🤓

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thats odd because ive still never been to a workshop or club. tbh i find that many old timers are set in their ways and have no desire to change, what many would deem as a good tree or a good 'style' might not be my cup of tea. so no i dont believe it is necessary to join a club or workshop to create good trees, there are other avenues, to each their own though. whatever works for you, some people need the extra hand on shoulder so to speak.
Jeez Bobby I didn’t mean anything by it. The OP asked what our mistakes were, and that was mine. I never said it’s impossible to be good without classes. Simply said they have made me immensely better, and while some have been “old timers “ many of the professionals I’ve met are my age or so (early 30s). I will admit I’m jealous that you’ve gotten where you have without instruction. I don’t have it built In I guess.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Jeez Bobby I didn’t mean anything by it. The OP asked what our mistakes were, and that was mine. I never said it’s impossible to be good without classes. Simply said they have made me immensely better, and while some have been “old timers “ many of the professionals I’ve met are my age or so (early 30s). I will admit I’m jealous that you’ve gotten where you have without instruction. I don’t have it built In I guess.
Cool buddy i know you didnt! im 45 btw, i dont claim to be no expert or bonsai master, but there is so much available now at the touch of a button. ive taken advantage of that. take mirai for example and that is very recent, there is absolutely no way one should come away from that and not be pretty good at bonsai. thats only one example
im not really an overly social person anyway, im quite content in doing bonsai in my own company.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Early in my bonsai journey, I wanted to have one of every species, and in every style. This led me to have too many trees, some not suitable for my climate, and I spread my learning into too many separate directions. And, I couldn’t keep up.

Later, I decided to focus my attention to a single species, one that was suitable to my climate, and learn to master it. Then, as my experience grew, I could draw upon my knowledge and experience and diversify my collection. I have become far more successful following this second path.

Perhaps focusing upon a single species is too limiting for most, so what I recommend is to limit yourself to a few of the “classic” varieties, and learn to master them. My suggestions are: Japanese Black Pine, Japanese Maple, Trident Maple, Shimpaku Juniper, and perhaps one other of your choosing. Perhaps Chinese Elm or Scots Pine. (Depending on whether you prefer conifer or deciduous). Once you have those reasonably mastered, then you can expand out to include more exotic varieties. But the Fundamentals you learn with those species will work.

I’ve already told you about joining clubs, volunteering to help those more experienced, etc.

This is a hobby that is best learned by DOING, not by spending time on forums. I know, it’s winter, and you have cabin fever. So now is the time to get in contact with the bonsai club, volunteering to help others repot, etc.

NUMBER 1 way to learn: Find someone experienced who makes good bonsai you like, and learn to do what they do.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Early in my bonsai journey, I wanted to have one of every species, and in every style. This led me to have too many trees, some not suitable for my climate, and I spread my learning into too many separate directions. And, I couldn’t keep up.

Later, I decided to focus my attention to a single species, one that was suitable to my climate, and learn to master it. Then, as my experience grew, I could draw upon my knowledge and experience and diversify my collection. I have become far more successful following this second path.

Perhaps focusing upon a single species is too limiting for most, so what I recommend is to limit yourself to a few of the “classic” varieties, and learn to master them. My suggestions are: Japanese Black Pine, Japanese Maple, Trident Maple, Shimpaku Juniper, and perhaps one other of your choosing. Perhaps Chinese Elm or Scots Pine. (Depending on whether you prefer conifer or deciduous). Once you have those reasonably mastered, then you can expand out to include more exotic varieties. But the Fundamentals you learn with those species will work.

I’ve already told you about joining clubs, volunteering to help those more experienced, etc.

This is a hobby that is best learned by DOING, not by spending time on forums. I know, it’s winter, and you have cabin fever. So now is the time to get in contact with the bonsai club, volunteering to help others repot, etc.

NUMBER 1 way to learn: Find someone experienced who makes good bonsai you like, and learn to do what they do.

I FULLY agree with that part. i think i found a style what i liked very early, maybe around 3-4 years in. but i was also a member of 4 active forums, not always posting but studying progression threads and seeing what could be done from scratch. its good to see how good bonsai were started, you can go to a club and see people wiring and such or working on trees they created, but from progression threads you get to see what really went on. i often wondered what the likes of Walter pall would do if he had my tree, or what would guys like Potter do with this etc well by studying their videos and progression you get an insight into a pros mind. You get to see whats possible over and over again, you start to build up these visions in your head.

Last edited:

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a

My mistake also.
Now I keep some difficult ones (because of my climate) as a challenge, but focus on few species, all adequate to my weather patterns.

Njyamadori

Chumono
Reaction score
My mistake also.
Now I keep some difficult ones (because of my climate) as a challenge, but focus on few species, all adequate to my weather patterns.
The only thing with me is that I want to focus on just a few things but I can’t at the same time. I want to focus of trident maples , beauty berry , and Shimpaku but i can’t always find what I want online and end up getting other things.

Top Bottom