What will happen to your bonsai when you die?

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't see this discussed here, or elsewhere much, but it surely is an important question. Do you have bonsai in your will? Do you have a friend or partner that knows who to call and what to do? Have you thought about this but not clearly communicated what should be done? No plan at all?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have an agreement with a friend who has a bonsai store. My heirs will call him and he takes everything bonsai related and sends them a check after he has appraised the lot. I have impressed upon my family that it has to be the first call they make.

Shogun610

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
No kids yet, but I shall impress upon them at an early age the importance of Bonsai to hopefully have them pass through the family, donate (god willing they are good enough to go into a collection) , or give off to someone young and up and coming in Bonsai to take them on… idk hopefully I have a long time till I cross that bridge… or worst case , build a tomb in my memory and have my bonsai as memorial garden with caretakers picked by my heirs hahah.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If I died tonight, probably wind up on a bonfire at the BBQ I told everyone to throw at my funeral.

I did find a yew on clearance a couple weeks ago. Told my oldest daughter it was her birthday present (it's her favorite tree), so probably not that one.

Mapleminx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My son is probably the most green fingered and nature loving so they’d go to him if he wants some of them. He’s still young and is massively obsessed with cacti and succulents so maybe/hopefully that will migrate into trees and bonsai when he is older. He always watches me and tries to “help” when I am busy with a tree and he obviously does pick up a few things.

For a example a neighbors child once asked why I was putting a tree in dog food, to which my son laughed at her and said “that’s not dog food that’s AKADAMA!” To be fair I see her point, it does look a bit like dry food.

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't possess any trees that have much monetary value. However, there is definitely "time value" in developing material that would be a waste to lose, or that someone could benefit from. I'd want someone to contact a local club ASAP and donate everything to anyone who wants it.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I hope I live long enough to properly place my bonsai by selling, giving away, or plant back into the ground when I no longer can care for them. I also have told my children in case of a sudden event to keep whatever they like to keep and learn to take care of them and give the rest to the local bonsai society. Hopefully they will be able to get at least a buck fiddy for each bonsai.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
My trees will likely die a slow and painful death in the hands of someone who will try his or her best to prevent it.
Unless of course I get so good at bonsai that I'll achieve bonsai-rockstar status. Then my people might sell them to the right people.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Another reason for becoming a member of the local bonsai club. I've seen more than one 'bonsai estate sale," facilitated by clubs...

FWIW, I've told my spouse to call our bonsai nursery friends if I kick if (knock wood). I've also given her a rough idea of what things are worth (pots are mostly worth more than the trees).

Top Bottom