What would happen?

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
I tried researching what would happen and what would grow out of it but i couldn't find anything in my searching's
i read in a couple places that these "ginseng ficus" are two different species of ficus plants, if i chopped the top bellow the fusion marks would it sprout ( i hear they are hardy ) and what type of ficus would come from the bulbous roots microcarpa still?
Also what are the chances of cutting the long big root off , taking a vegetable peeler down the side of it and creating a raft style plant from it ? will it root from where the cambium is exposed? ( i plan to propagate the top ) so was hoping i could get sprouting out of the trunk.
Thank you your knowledge and experience is appreciated.

20180916_161125.jpg

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Ginseng Ficus Rootstock is a variety of Ficus microcarpa, and the grafted on portion, the scion, is a small leaved variety of Ficus microcarpa.

If you cut the top off, below the graft, or removed large fat sections of root. They would sprout the larger leafed variety of Ficus microcarpa.

You can root the top pieced, they grow well as cuttings. Best time to root cutting is in late spring early summer. They need warmth to make roots quickly, above 78 F or above 25 C. At cooler temperatures the root formation will be slower. If too cool, I'm not sure the exact temperature, the cuttings will just rot away rather than form roots. So the warmth of late spring or early summer is best for rooting cuttings and getting the root stock to sprout with their ''original'' foliage.

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Ginseng Ficus Rootstock is a variety of Ficus microcarpa, and the grafted on portion, the scion, is a small leaved variety of Ficus microcarpa.

If you cut the top off, below the graft, or removed large fat sections of root. They would sprout the larger leafed variety of Ficus microcarpa.

You can root the top pieced, they grow well as cuttings. Best time to root cutting is in late spring early summer. They need warmth to make roots quickly, above 78 F or above 25 C. At cooler temperatures the root formation will be slower. If too cool, I'm not sure the exact temperature, the cuttings will just rot away rather than form roots. So the warmth of late spring or early summer is best for rooting cuttings and getting the root stock to sprout with their ''original'' foliage.

Thank you this is exactly what i needed, so would you say it is very plausible to make a raft style ficus microcarpa ?

The Ficus Guy

Seedling
Reaction score
Thank you this is exactly what i needed, so would you say it is very plausible to make a raft style ficus microcarpa ?

Plausible? Probably. Worth it? With this material, no not really. I don't know as you would get buds that low on the roots, and it just wouldn't make sense or work as a raft. Ficus root so easily it would be better to use something that would work better.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I have made "root cuttings" that successfully sprouted. Sections of root, even sections that previously never saw the sun, will sprout vegetative growth when separated and planted with one end above the soil.

Worth it? The scion (top grafted portion) has superior traits for bonsai, the understock will have larger leaves and coarser branches, but it can be used for bonsai if you accept it's shortcomings as bonsai. It is up to the one who owns the plant. I would not bother, but it could be done if they wanted to do it.

I would only use the scion portion for myself. Or a different ficus altogether, I like the Willow leaf types personally.

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
so the bottom portion is now sprouting , and looking at the bark and the sprouts coming out i think its a ficus retusa? does that make sense ? i will try and get pictures tonight of the sprouts off the lower plant

MattE

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b

ok this is where i get confused , i have read that the bottom is the retusa and the top is the microcarpa and then other people say that the bottom is the microcarpa and the top grafted is the retusa.. so what is it the bottom is the tiger bark or the grafted top is the tiger bark ficus ??

sorry just seems to be alot of misinformation online

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Scientifically speaking I have no idea.
I think they are both microcarpa.
You can tell the top is tiger bark on the ones I see anyway.
Again I don’t know too much about the background on species information.
I can’t quote subspecies and family trees of the top of my head.
The good news is all ficus enjoy the same type of care.

Another good resource is here.

https://www.bonsaihunk.us/cultural.html
If you’re on FB look for - ficus study group.
It is run by Jerry and he’s great about sharing info.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ficus retusa is another name for microcarpa.
That is probably where the misinformation comes from. Retusa= microcarpa
The name is often wrongly applied and retusa is no longer used.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@MattE No I don’t think so.
He may lurk here sometimes though.
He is the reason I started growing ficus.
I’m glad I found his blog also.

Top Bottom