What would you do? Maple restyling after deer

mplishka

Seedling
Reaction score
The attached Maple was effectively eaten in half. The whole tree was nibbled in places but one side of the canopy except for one tiny little branch was destroyed over the winter. I left it alone this year. The roots have tons of potential but I'm just trying to figure out which direction to take the tree. I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear your thoughts as well.
Thanks!!
0914181523.jpg0914181523a.jpg0914181524_HDR.jpg

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I preface this with saying that I do not have that much experience with maples. But this is what I would do if it were my tree.

The deer damage doesn't look too bad. It is a bit hard to tell with leaves on the tree, but most of your branches look like they lack taper so cutting them back is actually the right thing to do. I would look at this as an opportunity to go through the entire tree. Reduce all the branches to only 2 at each node and cut everything back hard to improve taper. If you do it right it should look like a plucked chicken when you are done. I would seek guidance on when the best time to do this work in your area is.

The other thing I would do is start working on those roots. In the spring really work on getting things in shape. Remove any crossing roots and arrange the roots radially. Also work on reducing the depth of the roots. At this point the roots are much too mounded up above the edge of the pot.

I would consider creating a dam around the pot now and back filling with substrate to preserve the fine roots that are exposed. You don't want these to dry out and die back.

In no way do I think that this tree is a lost cause. With some work and some time this is going to be a really nice tree.

mplishka

Seedling
Reaction score
In no way do I think that this tree is a lost cause. With some work and some time this is going to be a really nice tree.
Thanks for all of your insights. I was definitely thinking of doing a little pruning regardless of what style I decide. The tree actually won a ribbon a couple years back. The roots have gotten unruly for sure and I agree with you, it will definitely be a nice tree again...eventually :)
Thx Again!!! :)

Top Bottom