What would you do?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Temps could go down to 26 deg F. Ive moved most of my trees into the garage again...

I left a few outside: mugo pine, scots pine, blue spruce and San Jose Junipers.

All have spent entire winters outside before with no issues but we had temps in the 50s and 60s all last week. The pines all have buds swelling on them now and the mugos have tiny candles starting to extend.

I still have room in the garage. Should I move them in or no? What would you do?

tmpgh

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I put everything in the garage until this weather passes. I've no experience, but another opinion sometimes helps no matter where it comes from lol.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
They will probably be fine......but I wouldn't sleep well knowing that they'd be freezing solid by midnight...so around 11:30 PM, I'd jump out of bed after looking at my weather station for the 19th time, run outside in my pajamas and put the trees into the garage....which is probably what I should have done in the first place:p.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
They will probably be fine......but I wouldn't sleep well knowing that they'd be freezing solid by midnight...so around 11:30 PM, I'd jump out of bed after looking at my weather station for the 19th time, run outside in my pajamas and put the trees into the garage....which is probably what I should have done in the first place:p.

lol.. This is exactly as it happens for me as well.

I would bring them in. Although they will probably be fine, isn't it better to just do it for peace of mind. Bringing them in will not harm them in anyway.

Rob

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Too funny paradox! I'm thinking just like you, outside in the rain right after work today moving everything into the shed! Some protection is better than nothing! With mugos candles moving and some maples pushing new unfolded leaves Mother Nature better not mess this up for me! I've got some back buds where I think I needed them dammit!

Last edited:

Mike123

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Empty benches! Brought mine in. Can't believe the weather!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 52

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
They are predicting more high winds, a possible rain/snow mix and temps around 34 degrees in MA.

Rob

Last edited:

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes same here. I am going outside now to bring most of everything in with perhaps the only exception being a beech forest that will remain outside just because is big and heavy and I am sure it will be fine since buds are all still closed. I may throw a cover over it just more for me than for the tree :D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
if you have the space, just bring them in so you don't worry or second guess yourself. if you don't have the space, then set them on the ground next to your home foundation and wrap the pots in blankets (its not necessary but you will feel better....)

if it was me, I'd just leave them where they are. those are hardy trees. if they are healthy then they will be fine and never skip a beat.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lmao

Makes me feel better that I'm not alone in my thinking/concerns.

Ok Ive got the space in the garage so Ill bring the rest in just for peace of mind.

outside in the rain right after work today moving everything

Yep was right out there with you bringing them in through the house to the garage

@#*&^%) Weather....

Thanks guys

Last edited:

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
By me it's about 52 degrees right now, supposed to hit a low of about 32 by 6 am and then back over 40 by noon. So the total time below 40 is a few hours. I can't imagine that would be enough time to damage plants leafing out, plants newly repotted or new flowers. But I would never chance it!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Experiencing similarly unseasonal cold here as well. I take solace in the fact that the spider mites I was battling a month ago at 81 degrees are now freezing their nonexistent balls off; at 30 or less tonight I'll leave it to mother nature to tuck them in and sing a lullaby.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
All in.

Yep I feel better..lolol

NY, I wasnt really worried about tonight. I think they would have been fine. Its tomorrow night with a predicted 26 Deg that concerns me particularly with the swelling buds and candles.

*EDIT*

Just checked the forcast and they are saying 31 deg for tonight now....sigh
Glad I moved them in.

Last edited:

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hey, winter's not done down here in GA, either. When I went to work this AM, it was pouring and temp was 57 F. By lunch, it was 43 F and the wind was howling...I was expecting half my trees to be on the ground when I got home, but I was lucky. All of N GA will be under a freeze warning until tomorrow AM (32 to 29 F), and we've had things growing for a month...some of my palmatums have extensions almost a foot long. They got moved under the deck...good luck to the rest of them, cause they're staying on the benches.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
some of my palmatums have extensions almost a foot long. They got moved under the deck...good luck to the rest of them, cause they're staying on the benches.

I'm sure you know what you are doing but when I read this I immediately thought Dave's got

http://youtu.be/_W-fIn2QZgg

I'm too chicken shit to take any chances. I can kill trees no problem but would be pissed if I lost them to one night of weather.

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Lmao

Makes me feel better that I'm not alone in my thinking/concerns.

Ok Ive got the space in the garage so Ill bring the rest in just for peace of mind.

Yep was right out there with you bringing them in through the house to the garage

@#*&^%) Weather....

Thanks guys
Sounds like everyone on the eastern seaboard got it today. 55F this morning, forcast 28 tomorrow morning. I was moving some into the garage in the rain before work, and finished after I got home. And it was still raining. I just repotted everything and a lot of little buds and new roots at stake. This happened a year or two ago and it did some damage. This time, I wasnt going to get caught. I moved 45 trees in today. I think I have helped them dodge a bullet.

Attachments

• IMG_9934.jpg
    IMG_9934.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9930.jpg
    IMG_9930.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9928.jpg
    IMG_9928.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 22

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
As I was bringing my stuff in a big hail storm came down and my face took a beating from it. Those maples owe me... ouch!

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
isn't this great news...

Shit I just found out about this oh man as if battling widespread disease isn't enough, ok I'm officially worried, how the heel do I lug in 50+ >100lb trees =/

Wish me luck fellow nutters, and I wish you all luck also that couldn't lug yours in time. I hope lady luck is related to mother earth =/

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like everyone on the eastern seaboard got it today. 55F this morning, forcast 28 tomorrow morning. I was moving some into the garage in the rain before work, and finished after I got home. And it was still raining. I just repotted everything and a lot of little buds and new roots at stake. This happened a year or two ago and it did some damage. This time, I wasnt going to get caught. I moved 45 trees in today. I think I have helped them dodge a bullet.

I more want to know what the truck project in the back ground is. I always love to see peoples widespread differences in Hobbies that they have. Like my two favorite hobbies are gardening, including bonsai, and shooting and collecting guns. I should probably put that on the outside of the gates of my gardens.

Top Bottom