anthony burce

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
SEIJU ELM
100% compost soil right now.

2 gallon pot.

95°f pretty steady untill about middle of october.

I just got this elm.
Ive got buds popping up and down the trunk right now, but you cant see it in the pics because they just started coming out.

*WHAT I DO PLAN ON

•Repot into proper soil next spring.

Should i trunk chop to get rid of the branches up top? There is considerable swelling where a leader came through.
What would you guys do to get this moving in the right direction??

Attachments

• 2015-06-19 19.33.40.jpg
    2015-06-19 19.33.40.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 91

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I don't like stuff going to waste... So I'd recommend layering it above that last curve- then plant the layer at an angle so you get some movement with one of the branches being a new leader and the other super ing as the first branch on the outside of what will be the first curve in the trunk.

This lets you better utilize the movement you have low on the trunk, and gives you a second tree that has potential to be something one day as well...

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't like stuff going to waste... So I'd recommend layering it above that last curve- then plant the layer at an angle so you get some movement with one of the branches being a new leader and the other super ing as the first branch on the outside of what will be the first curve in the trunk.

This lets you better utilize the movement you have low on the trunk, and gives you a second tree that has potential to be something one day as well...
Obviously your time and space is worth nothing......

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I probably would't chop the top nor air layer just yet. I like to let a new tree settle in for a while before doing any thing drastic. Let it grow for a year and then evaluate. Could get some nice budding/branching on the lower trunk while still maintaining the top canopy.

Didn't Anyone tell smoke that Avatar is politically incorrect this week ?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Obviously your time and space is worth nothing......
Sorry Smoke, are we supposed to wait on your recommendations before giving someone advice when they ask for it?

Space I got plenty of... The value of time is subjective, but mine is worth as much as anyone else... Which is why I prefer substantially sized layers or large hardwood cuttings to seedlings or small cuttings when producing new stock.... It saves about 10-15+ years of development in some cases.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What do you mean by maintaining the top?

I really meant just to retain or preserve the top foliage for later use. As far as styling, That would be personal preference. I would clip an grow to produce ramification and get started at forming some kind of canopy.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry Smoke, are we supposed to wait on your recommendations before giving someone advice when they ask for it?

Space I got plenty of... The value of time is subjective, but mine is worth as much as anyone else... Which is why I prefer substantially sized layers or large hardwood cuttings to seedlings or small cuttings when producing new stock.... It saves about 10-15+ years of development in some cases.
I had no advice. I found it more fun to make fun of you:p

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I laugh when people suggest taking cuttings and layers of any elm. What was the line in "Vacation" "Ain't never seen anyone so shit-all stupid as you driving off that road. You musta got manure for your brains". Either one has a ton of space or their time is worth nothing. I forget though, not everyone has a bonsai nursery 7 blocks from their house.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Are you suggesting that seiju elms are a dime a dozen in Fresno? If so, maybe I need to take a drive up to Fresno. I could use a couple dozen.

anthony burce

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
So far ive got from you guys is

Layer it in half a year from now

I have buds growing below where id chop. Which im sure ill do. How can i insure those buds turn into very thick established branches???

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So far ive got from you guys is

Layer it in half a year from now

I have buds growing below where id chop. Which im sure ill do. How can i insure those buds turn into very thick established branches???

Let it grow! I've had branches grow in A\L bags. No worries.

politically incorrect

Smokes avatar is a message to the politically incorrect.

I hate racism, and I love Smokes avatar.

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Didn't we squash that uprising 150 years ago. It's good that the old stars and bars is going to be hard to find soon.

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Sorce

Very thin line!! Although I agree with the hate racism, Being from the north, I can't relate to the losers flag.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I laugh when people suggest taking cuttings and layers of any elm. What was the line in "Vacation" "Ain't never seen anyone so shit-all stupid as you driving off that road. You musta got manure for your brains". Either one has a ton of space or their time is worth nothing. I forget though, not everyone has a bonsai nursery 7 blocks from their house.
Wait.. Didn't you just post a bunch of Elm root CUTTINGS you did this year? LMAO

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wait.. Didn't you just post a bunch of Elm root CUTTINGS you did this year? LMAO
I love it when you guys think for yourselves. It shows me there is still hope. Your suggestion is to take a lousey sling shot tree and waste a bunch of time to layer the sling shot off and be left with a straight stick. Voila! two crappy trees...yippee.

Making root cuttings from roots being cut off is frugal rather than wastefull. I will get five times as many trees, better trunks, more variety and thicker trunks which I can cull if needed, give away or use for raffle material for the numerous clubs I belong to.
So I ended up with around 9 trees in this batch. All of them took, always successful with root cuttings. 5 months and I have fully rooted trees which are not weak, fat trunks, good movement, and the start to good branches for next year. That layer would not even be ready to take off yet, or if taken in this heat in Redding would surly die. Best to wait till next year to remove in spring. If I was inclined to offer advice that is what I would have recommended for next year, sacrifice the tree for the roots, they are probably better than the tree!

To each their own, Justin Case

028.JPG
034.JPG
029.JPG
030.JPG
033.JPG

qwade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

Sorce

Oh,and also, I forgot to mention-- Smoke thrives to be the asshole on Bnut. Hey, yes we will give him that honor. But you Sorce, like others just want to ride on the coat tails of his cock (flag)! Honoring all that is negative with his responses. . Smoke and yourself need to grow up. We are not in grade school any longer. This is a Bonsai forum. Although you may have no life, no need to take it out on the rookie. Strive to help your peers with kind words and inspiration (I would continue that sentence with you fucking assholes), but they would probably band me.To disagree is tolerable, but to berate other members is childish.
John

Top Bottom