What would you plant?

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
I've found a website that sells seeds and I'm thinking of thinking of planting a load of different trees in my borders.

What seeds would you order?

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
If I decide that I’d like to grow a generalized Genus.. I spend a day or two researching ALL of the species/varieties.. and determine which I’d like to plant..

For instance.. I really like Birch.. and feel they are SOMEWHAT under appreciated in “TinyTree” culture... so after a few days of research, I found one I REEEALLY like...
D9694C19-F8B5-427B-A9E4-F2570D9007F8.png

So I guess the question is, “What would you LIKE TO grow? And what can you support?

Find what YOU want.. In intersecting points with “better-for-bonsai” species.

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
What type of soil, sun, watering, and attention will they get?

Or is "the neon blue Maple ones" a sufficient answer?

Sorce
I have 2 Borders. One gets sun all day, the other afternoon sun. I can mix soil in and water tend to them as little or as often as they need really.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are 2 recent threads on similar subjects, maybe someone can help is find them.

It's about remote fields and planting them, most of the same rules will apply.

Stuff you can't get, stuff you CAN tend. A mix of things to allow larger work windows, like not 2k pines that all need candling in one day.

I like elms cuz you can ignore them.

Sure there al lot of elms....few good ones.

Sorce

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Honestly, species that are native to your area for success. Would be a good rule of thumb to start a list. Then go from there. Some could be more shade lovers...if its out in the open. Not a good choice. So as you go through your list...you will actually come down to a much smaller list...and then choose from those which appeal to you the most.

I tend to look at trees which are drought tolerant for things established. Less concern about watering needs.

colley614

Shohin
Reaction score
So far I've ordered scots pine, english oak, field, trident and japanese maples and Chinese Juniper. I'm going to pot these up and may plant some in my borders

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Some native, which are not yet widely kept as bonsai

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What are ash like as Bonsai? Those and sycamore maple grow like weeds around here
They are very nice - but they are to be found literally EVERYWHERE in the UK. Just go look for them - they are like weeds.

I dug this out of a garden bed (self seeded) on Saturday:

IMG_1506 by Jerry Norbury, on Flickr

Top Bottom