Whatb kind of maple? Good for bonsai?

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
What kind of maple? Good for bonsai?

I found these maples outside a local grocery store, and noticed the leaves were relatively small.. There were tons of fresh seeds so I grabbed some.. I put some silver maple seeds in foam cups and they are growing like crazy, but we know their no good for bonsai.. Do you think the maple in question would make good bonsai?

Attachments

• IMG00299-20100517-1949[1].jpg
    IMG00299-20100517-1949[1].jpg
    192 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like an Acer campestre but it's difficult to say without seeing all the leaves in maturity. If it is indeed a hedge maple (Acer campestre), they make fine bonsai and the tree is native to Europe. Were all lobes rounded over on the leaves?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can't tell good bonsai material from leaves. Leaves are highly variable in size and shape. Better to look at the trunk and any existing branching. If the lower trunk and nebari are a decent start and the thing twigs, the leaves can be dealt with (depending on your patience and the species' habits)

mholt

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rock, I think he was referring to collecting seeds from it.

the3rdon

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I do have seeds.. The trees are 15 feet tall.. I think krogers would definitely frown on a midnight dig.. ;)

I will plant them anyway.. What the hell? If nothing else I can practice and learn from them..

Thank's,
Don H.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Rock, I think he was referring to collecting seeds from it."

Same advice applies as to suitability for bonsai. Can't tell if a tree is suitable for bonsai from leaves.

At some point, bonsaists have to decide on whether they're growing seedlings or doing bonsai:D:D. You don't learn bonsai from seedlings. You learn how to grow seedlings. Nothing wrong with that, but it's not bonsai, at least not for 5-10 years or longer...

When you have hundreds of containerize seedlings taking up all available space in the backyard and your bonsai are jammed uncomfortably together to accommodate them, you'll understand what I mean :D.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well,you know how it is,the weak fall by the wayside but the strong will remain.

Truer words were never spoken.....the same applies to people......

Top Bottom