What's BEST about Anderson flats?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What do YOU consider the most important facet of the Anderson flat?
IOW... the single most important feature for you....

Surface area
Depth
Open bottom.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
All three. The only other thing is aesthetics, something which doesnt apply to anderson flats, because they are used only for their surface area and open bottom. “Depth” is subjective because it only matters how much soil you put in.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
All three. Why must it be one?
I’ll add too that they last for years.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know this has probably been beat to death, but where can a fellow buy about a dozen. I don't need a pallet.

Schmikah

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know this has probably been beat to death, but where can a fellow buy about a dozen. I don't need a pallet.

I second that. I did find a short-term supply of used plastic vegetable crates from our local Asian market though.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
I attach 1x2 in slats under mine to prop them up off the bench as well which really opens up the bottom for great drainage.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
They are pretty awesome for $7 pots. Problem is people psychologically can’t take 100% shipping cost and feel they are too expensive. If they were $6 with free shipping people wouldn’t complain so much. My only gripe with them is they only come in one size. I would love smaller ones. Nesting would solve a lot problems with shipping and storing but they aren’t made to be pots. They are made hold small ones. To actually answer your question, it is the drainage and depth for me. I love net pots but they are always deep.

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
They are pretty awesome for $7 pots. Problem is people psychologically can’t take 100% shipping cost and feel they are too expensive. If they were $6 with free shipping people wouldn’t complain so much. My only gripe with them is they only come in one size. I would love smaller ones. Nesting would solve a lot problems with shipping and storing but they aren’t made to be pots. They are made hold small ones. To actually answer your question, it is the drainage and depth for me. I love net pots but they are always deep.

you can find them for half that amount.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
All three. Why must it be one?
I’ll add too that they last for years.
Because I am curious to know what folks like BEST.
That's why I asked.

But I ........ EXPECTED.... the ubiquitous ALL THREE.
Tra la tra lee...................................... 💩

GreatLakesBrad

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
3 years in, take that for what it’s worth - surface area. New to bonsai, I was seeking this idea of a container accommodating significant growth potential as an alternative to ground growing, yet encouraging a shallow root base. Was so excited to discover AF on Bnut. This site is so ridiculously helpful in navigating the learning process.

I’ve re-potted 5-6 trees into them this spring and enjoy the mention above that I can just control the soil level to meet the size of material (I.e. just repotted a smaller JM that is 5-6 years away from ready for refinement). That surface area has also allowed for me to fit several Ebihara efforts in this spring without having to plant in the ground (purchasing a new home next March so I am pre planning to have most material in containers).

They are my quick fix as an alternative to building large boxes - though I do enjoy that process of fitting custom parameters to the tree.

Sorry for the ramble. They do taste good. 😂

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you have other bonsai supplies needed, American Bonsai sells them individually and you can get free shipping on orders at $100. They are a bit pricey through them, but worth it if you just need one and also need akadama and other things.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have three sizes of Anderson flats, 16×16×4, 14×14×5, and an18×14×2 (great for starting forests). They're virtually indestructible as long as you don't bang them around. Many years of sun exposure with no sign of breakdown.
Only drawbacks are easily fixed. They are flexible and you have to be careful how you pick them up. I use a carry board that I slip underneath to move them.
As mentioned, you need to put stickers under them. If they sit flat on the bench roots will grow right out the bottom and spread between the bottom and the bench.
Anderson also makes the best nursery pots, too. They're heavy duty plastic and almost straight sided. Best for making cutoff round training pots.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I like the heavy duty ones, the inside dimensions 16 x 16 x 5, I bought a "case" of 50 some 10 years ago. About 10 of them are in my office, catching papers. The rest are out in the yard. The shipping from west coast to Chicago area was more than the cost of the flats, spread out over 50 flats, the total cost, flat & shipping was $7.50 each.

I like that they are wide, to develop radial root systems, and that they are deep enough that you can put roughly 3 gallons of media in them, more or less, depending on what you need. I love the durability.

Maloghurst

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
1.The 15 3/4 x 15 3/4 x 5 is rigid. I can move a 60lb tree just fine without disturbing the roots.

2. There is a lip all around the edge for lifting.

3. Drainage, it has 1/4 inch holes so I pumice through it and use what’s left as a drainage layer.

4. Depth is perfect for developing trees and nebari.

5. Cost, I paid about 105.00 for 20 flats last October. Shipping would be same for 10. The box holds up to 20. Flats were 3.50 each when I got them. @penumbra

6. Durability

Top Bottom