What's Cookin'?

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Anyone have some "go to" recipes?

Tis the season for crockpot stuff, so..

Saw this in a old Martha Stewart Magazine and it sounded pretty good. Tried it out and boy were we right.
We used a the shank portion of a butt and chopped the bok choy into larger pieces

Sweet and Spicy Asian Pork Shoulder
Ingredients:
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 to 2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
salt and pepper
2 1/2 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 2 inch pieces
1 cup long grain white rice
1 medium head of bok choy, thinly sliced (about 8 cups)
2 Scallions, diced

- In a 4 to 6 quart slow cooker, combine the soy sauce, sugar, chili-garlic sauce, ginger, five spice powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the pork and toss to coat. Cook, covered, until the pork is tender, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.

-Twenty-five minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.

- Meanwhike, skim off and discard any fat from the pork. gently fold the bok choy into the pork and cook, covered, until heated through, but still firm 3 to 5 minutes.
Serve with the rice and sprinkle with scallions.

The next day if you have any leftovers, grab some corn tortillas and mix up a one or both of these for toppings and make some tacos

Thai Cucumber Salad
* 1 cucumber, thinly sliced and seeded
* 1/2 onion, yellow sweet, sliced thin
* 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
* 2 tablespoons cilantro, fresh chopped
* 6 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1 tablespoon (or more to taste) sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1. Mix water, vinegar, sugar, and salt.
2. In a serving bowl arrange the cucumber, pepper, cilantro, and onion in layers.
3. Pour the vinegar mixture over the salad.
4. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before serving.

Napa-Romaine Slaw
Makes about 6 cups, enough for many tacos, with leftovers

For the dressing:
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 1-1/2 teaspoons lime juice
• 1/2-1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
• 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon (or more to taste) sugar

For the salad:
• 4 cups (5 ounces) shredded romaine lettuce
• 2 cups (3 ounces) shredded Napa cabbage
• 1/2 cup (2 ounces) thinly sliced onion
• toasted sesame seeds for garnish

Toss the salad in a large bowl with 1 tablespoon of the dressing. Add more dressing to taste and garnish generously with sesame seeds.

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I'll be firing up the smoker today. Probably just some wings for me and my son. I get 10 pounds for $10. About 60-70 wings. They'll last today and tomorrow.

WING SAUCE

3 TBS butter, melted
4 TBS hot pepper sauce (Frank's Original)
1 TBS paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1/4 tsp black pepper

Some wings I've done in the past.

wings1.jpg
wings3k.jpg

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those look great Chub!
Made a couple of pizzas tonight and one of them was a buffalo chicken pizza. I've been wanting to fire up the WSM, but something always seem to come up. Next weekend for sure

Chub

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Those look great Chub!
Made a couple of pizzas tonight and one of them was a buffalo chicken pizza. I've been wanting to fire up the WSM, but something always seem to come up. Next weekend for sure

Thx....Ended up doing a Tr-Tip. First time trying one. I could never find them around here, finally found a place that carries them. Did it on my little Smokey Joe.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I like this thread, it could be very popular, i'll chime in later with some recipies myself. Almost any site I have been involved with in the past has had a food area, with all the territory covered by members we could create a cook book that could pay for our site forever.

I started this post to say, Hey Si, are they making you hungry yet????:)

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not much of a dessert guy, but this is one of the best things I'll be eating on Thanksgiving
PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE PIE WITH GINGERSNAP
CRUST

1/2 c. pecans
2 tbsp. sugar
1 c. gingersnap crumbs (from about 20 cookies)
5 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
2/3 c. brown sugar, packed
1/2 c. sour cream, room temperature
1 lb. cream cheese, room temperature
1 c. canned solid-pack pumpkin
3 eggs, room temperature
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Pinch of ground cloves
Pinch of ground ginger
Pecan halves, for garnish

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Place the 1/2 cup pecans and sugar in food processor and process until finely chopped, about 20 seconds. Pour into large bowl, add gingersnap crumbs and mix. Pour in the butter and stir well to combine. Turn mixture into 10 inch pie dish and press evenly against bottom and sides to form crust. Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. (Leave oven on.)

In large bowl, beat cream cheese and brown sugar until soft and well blended. Stir in sour cream and pumpkin. Gradually beat in eggs, one at a time and the cinnamon, cloves and ginger. Place pie dish on baking sheet and pour in filling. Bake in middle of oven for 45 minutes or until filling is set. Let cool on rack. Arrange pecan halves around edge of pie.
Makes 12 servings.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I liked Brussel sprouts, then I made them like this and now I love them

Stir Fried Brussel Sprouts
1 lb Brussels sprouts
4-6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
salt
pepper

1. Remove brown outer leaves of brussel sprouts. Cut the brussel sprouts in half.
2. In sauce pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the brussel sprouts and fry, stirring occasionally, until dark brown, almost charred, but NOT burnt.
3. The last minute of cooking, add the garlic and stir in to combine. Be careful not to burn the garlic!
4. Season to taste with salt, pepper. Serve warm.

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Agree Dave, don't want to burn the garlic. Grew up eating these with vinigar, but of late have been using the simple salt pepper and butter. The in laws had some Thanksgiving that were roasted w/ some breadcrumbs atop, pretty good, dynomite vegy for all the good stuff.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Corn bread and black eyed peas, you can eat em up as you please, cuz their never outta season, thats what i like about the south...
ed

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Ed, corn bread + black eyed peas sounds like the business...wish i could taste something like that:p

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Ed the right corn bread makes anything taste good.;)

When I think south, biscutes and gravy come to mind.:)

jason biggs

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
so,what's the deal with the south?? is this slave food or cowboy food??

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good ol local comfort food Jason, thats all. probably add grits to that list as well.

By the way cowboy food was baked beans, jerky, and sock brewed coffee, maybe a gopher or two.:D They would be considered the west, of course thats all from the old westerns.;)

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I made liver and onions last night. I know, you either love it or hate it.

1 lamb liver sliced 1/2 inch
milk
1 large onion
4 slices bacon
1 cup flour
20 fresh sage leaves
salt
pepper
1/4 cup red wine
1/4 cup broth
1/4 cup brandy

Rinse the liver slices and pat dry. Cover them with milk and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Finely chop the sage and mix with the flour, salt and pepper.
slice the onion into 1/4 inch rings.
Fry the bacon until just crisp and set aside.
Reduce heat and add the onions to the bacon grease. Saute 30 - 40 minutes until they are caramelized a dark golden color.
While the onions are cooking remove the liver from the milk and dredge in the flour mixture to coat thoroughly. Chop up the bacon.
When the onions are done mix them with the chopped bacon, spread on a serving dish and place in a warm oven.
Add about a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and increase heat to medium high. Fry the liver 1 - 2 minutes a side until crispy brown on the outside and pink on the inside. Be careful not to overcook the liver or it will be tough and bitter. When done place on top of the onions.
Deglaze the pan with the liquids and heat until it is reduced by 1/2.
Pour the sauce over the liver and onions and serve with fresh greens, garlic bread, and a good Cabernet.

YUM!

Paul

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Partridge oven baked with a little olive oil,sprinkled with thyme and a little garlic salt and served with broccoli,yummy.

Top Bottom