Whats Going on in Smoke's Backyard?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I plan on keeping a sort of blog here. Add some comments or discussion. If your new, there may be lots to learn here. If you been at a while, I plan on adding some interesting things I have learned from many people thru the years.

Most of the benches have been repotted by now. I still have a few to go, mostly junipers, which can be repotted later than the D trees. I stitched together three shots and made one photo of 3/4'rs of my bench. The shohin area needs some new shelves which I plan on getting to later this week.

Attachments

• Panorama 2.JPG
    Panorama 2.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 1,503
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Today was a day of repotting. I repotted 30 tridents and 8 elms. The elms are for a workshop at the shohin seminar in 2014. I put them into 6 inch clay bulb pans. In california we do not get hard freezes, so usuing caly pots is a good way to get some air into the soil without the pot breaking down. These elms should do well in this nice soil and breathing room.

Attachments

• DSC_00130005.jpg
    DSC_00130005.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1,244

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
great idea.
ive got to say thanks for all you share, you are one of the reasons i visit here and i really look for your posts.
can you talk a little about that pine in the dark/black pot on the back shelf it looks great
painter

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Need to make trident cutting for the next few years projects. The last cutting I did now have 1/2 trunks and were repooted today from 6 inch clay pots to 8 inch clay pots. Some still need to be transplanted as I ran out of pots.

Finding clay bulb pans is hard to do. Most of the ones I have I bought on the coast. Will buy some more we I go camping in two weeks.

This is thirty tridents. These have soaked for 15 minutes in 1% IBA diluted 20 %.

Attachments

• DSC_00120004.JPG
    DSC_00120004.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 945
  • DSC_00100010.JPG
    DSC_00100010.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 855
  • DSC_00140014.JPG
    DSC_00140014.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 934

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All these tridents were whacked back with the chicken cleaver, and repotted into cut down pond baskets. Two have 2 inch trunks and two have 3 inch trunks.

Attachments

• DSC_00670001.JPG
    DSC_00670001.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 1,077

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'll bite... Your irrigation system looks pretty simple, and I'm curious how you connected water to the area, if it's removed from your household water supply. I'm exploring options, simple is good, and somehow I need to get water from the house to the fence. Thoughts?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Worked on this California juniper. I have stopped for a day or two cuase the tridents were getting away from me and need faster attention if they were going to be repotted this year. I started on this juniper in 2005 when I put it in this pot. It was collected in 2003 and was really a bush. I let the branches get away from me and all the green has to be chased back in to make this thing even presentable. I removed a 1.5 inch branch and have another on to do later this week even larger. Both will be worked into jins. I havn't measured the trunk in a while but I think it is around 5 inches across.

More to come on this one as well as two more later this week. Three if I get ambitious. The fourth one is a real monster in dire need of taming. Maybe a pcture tomorrow.

Attachments

• DSC_00090001.JPG
    DSC_00090001.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 1,068

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hah! Repotted 38 trees and still managed to mow the lawn also. I am pooped.

See ya all later.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll bite... Your irrigation system looks pretty simple, and I'm curious how you connected water to the area, if it's removed from your household water supply. I'm exploring options, simple is good, and somehow I need to get water from the house to the fence. Thoughts?

That is my vacation water. If I go out of town I use that system that is on a clock with my lawn system. I water all my trees by hand. From the City system. Very hard, it turns my pots white in a few months so I have that added burdon.

I put in a whole new backyard water system for the lawn and planters, so I ran an exta 1 inch line to the bench. I reduce that to 1/2 and I can throw water about 12 feet. It runs 4 minutes once a day around 2 pm when I am gone.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Another good one Al, that workshop should make for happy participants, those clevered chickens, I mean tridents do resemble chickens now, yup a couple of extra square inches might be good for the shohin area. Keep up the good work.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Cool thread.I've managed to get my trees out for a few day's here and there.Then I put them away when too cold at night.Luckily I can do that in 6 minutes.I also get to come home at lunch and put them on benches if a very cold morning.I have bought some zelkova seed and am going to create a bunch of zelkova broom.I am going to build a small cold frame under my mobile home for them.I will post a thread maybe like yours someday.Thanks for pic's!

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
All these tridents were whacked back with the chicken cleaver, and repotted into cut down pond baskets. Two have 2 inch trunks and two have 3 inch trunks.

Now those are some fugly tridents!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You think those are ugly check this one out. Repotted.

Attachments

• DSC_000500052.JPG
    DSC_000500052.JPG
    91.9 KB · Views: 889

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Three elms for raffle material at this years show. The middle one is in a ceramic container for a friend. School carnival live auction. I gave him the better of the three.

Attachments

• DSC_000200023.JPG
    DSC_000200023.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 847

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Put this trident in a larger pot. This one needs a chop. It has too much back and forth going on. Looks pretty silly.

Attachments

• DSC_000400042.JPG
    DSC_000400042.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 823

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Al, do you have anything going into the national exhibition this year? I am going to try and make it this summer.

sherwoodschwartz

Yamadori
Reaction score
you have a wonderful eye.

i have been searching for clay bulb pans for a while now with little success. why are they so hard to find? i guess i'll have to use the plastic ones.

Top Bottom