Whats Going on in Smoke's Backyard?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you stay at it long enough, there will come a time when you are despised. Thats a fact. I have been doing this too long not to see it. When your work gets very good people will be jealous and will look down their nose at how you post. That happens if you interact with the forum. If you just wish to post a tree and run then you are not open for the words. Guys like MachV and Judy and Brian and Adair, they don't post much anymore and they don't do a lot of interacting.
If you wish in the future to just post a tree and not talk to anyone, then yea I can see your point, but if you want to show a tree to someone to help them improve and open the discussion to fielding questions like "why you gotta be a dick", then yea it gets hard.

I might ask you why you felt the need to come in here and ask these questions, surely they do not move the dialog forward. In fact it's none of your business....is it? Now do you understand?
I will post my trees and interact on those threads I’m interested in.

I’ve been accused of “having too many rules”, and having “green helmet” trees, and being a slave to the Japanese style, and not having “American” trees...

I have to admit, it gets tiresome. I feel like I’m having to defend myself for having nice trees! Isn’t that the point? Ha!! Boon says I have a bonsai show in my back yard every day! Lol!!! I don’t know about you, but that has always been my goal.

So, it’s true. I don’t post as often as I used to. If I see someone posting erroneous info, though, I will try to set the record straight.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I will post my trees and interact on those threads I’m interested in.

I’ve been accused of “having too many rules”, and having “green helmet” trees, and being a slave to the Japanese style, and not having “American” trees...

I have to admit, it gets tiresome. I feel like I’m having to defend myself for having nice trees! Isn’t that the point? Ha!! Boon says I have a bonsai show in my back yard every day! Lol!!! I don’t know about you, but that has always been my goal.

So, it’s true. I don’t post as often as I used to. If I see someone posting erroneous info, though, I will try to set the record straight.
Slave to the Japanese style... the pioneers of bonsai... how moronic. Keep posting brotha

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It's not so much American trees that count, though they make a point, it's about American talent that puts together trees regardless of source of origin, that reflect American ideas that are not wretched to look at. I know we find ourselves in the realm of the ubiquitous American Bonsai, does it actually exist or not and if so what does it look like? Other than that what is left? If you have trees and you are not ashamed of them why not post them.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
It's not so much American trees that count, though they make a point, it's about American talent that puts together trees regardless of source of origin, that reflect American ideas that are not wretched to look at. I know we find ourselves in the realm of the ubiquitous American Bonsai, does it actually exist or not and if so what does it look like? Other than that what is left? If you have trees and you are not ashamed of them why not post them.
I absolutely find European bonsai to have its own unique style, that is different but no better or worse than the Japanese. Just a less domesticated look. So I am sure the American style does indeed exist, but is harder to pinpoint exactly how or why it is different.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I might ask you why you felt the need to come in here and ask these questions, surely they do not move the dialog forward.
You may and I shall reply.
I ask it because I see the experience you have, the idea that you have and the value behind them. Yet at the same time I see the way over -at least the last few days- just the way you seem to have to place yourself on a pedestal, not by showing your expertise, but by belittling others, creates a very negative energy. Typically this will stop people from listening to you, or looking at the value of your posts. To which you respond, they respond and it creates a negative spiral. Just sad to see happening.

I am not sure whether it helps the dialogue forth. As said, I was curious how someone who clearly has a good idea about bonsai gets to be so comparative. I doubt anyone here argues your skills and abilities.

In fact it's none of your business....is it?

Yes and no. Why you do things is none of my business. My own curiosity is my business though :)

In any case. I hope this whole thing dies down and we can get back to discussing trees, which is what this forum should be about, right?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You may and I shall reply.
I ask it because I see the experience you have, the idea that you have and the value behind them. Yet at the same time I see the way over -at least the last few days- just the way you seem to have to place yourself on a pedestal, not by showing your expertise, but by belittling others, creates a very negative energy. Typically this will stop people from listening to you, or looking at the value of your posts. To which you respond, they respond and it creates a negative spiral. Just sad to see happening.

I am not sure whether it helps the dialogue forth. As said, I was curious how someone who clearly has a good idea about bonsai gets to be so comparative. I doubt anyone here argues your skills and abilities.

Yes and no. Why you do things is none of my business. My own curiosity is my business though :)

In any case. I hope this whole thing dies down and we can get back to discussing trees, which is what this forum should be about, right?
Think about what you just said....

You done thinking?

You just a wrote a whole lot of words about me that do nothing, and end it with "hope this dies down soon so we can discuss trees"

Who is doing all the tangents here, certainly not me. You guys just keep piling on, and for what cause you cant post a worthy tree and it diminishes your self esteem. There was just a person from Oz that felt the need to come in here and make their first post about me being a dick. I'm the problem here? Why does a thread about telling Al what a dick he is have to "end soon" for you to discuss trees? Do you wish to discuss trees with me? Is that the reason, you want to make sure I can focus on what you have to say? Hey man I'm just spouting words, which is a lot like you write. Contrary to popular belief I can carry on two conversations at the same time.

There is nothing stopping you from discussing bonsai in any thread you choose. In fact start a new one and post up some trees and talk about them, tell us what the future is and where you see it going, You can do that without being here being another jerk. The only person stopping you from moving on is you...I already have, I think my thread is doing great..I wasn't here for six months so I've seen some trees I haven't seen. I think that's wonderful. Damn nice ones too. Who doesn't wish they had a Judy tree? So far everyone has been very conscience of the post a tree to talk rule, except penumbra, he doesn't read to well

Move on whatever your name is...move on...Probably the easiest way for you to fix this is just put me on ignore, simple, all my threads go away. Problem solved......but ... will you.....that is the question.

Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Boon says I have a bonsai show in my back yard every day! Lol!!! I don’t know about you, but that has always been my goal.

Always been my goal and my prime motivator. There are those that say they do it for fun, and do it for relaxation, and I'm not going to show my trees, yada, yada, yada....why bother then? Who wants to look at shitty trees?

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably the easiest way for you to fix this is just put me on ignore, simple, all my threads go away. Problem solved......but ... will you.....that is the question.
No, why would I?

There is nothing stopping you from discussing bonsai in any thread you choose. In fact start a new one and post up some trees and talk about them, tell us what the future is and where you see it going, You can do that without being here being another jerk. The only person stopping you from moving on is you
And I do, and have done. Don't go tell me I am not posting my trees. Because either you know it is nonsense, or you just make comments without even looking for a second what someone does or does not post.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No, why would I?

And I do, and have done. Don't go tell me I am not posting my trees. Because either you know it is nonsense, or you just make comments without even looking for a second what someone does or does not post.
Awesome, That should just about do it then. I shouldn't have to hear you bitch anymore. I wont come in your threads, you don't come into mine....fair?

Here's ten more I didn't post in the other thread. Post them in a group like this with thumbnails so we can see what you got. Now's your chance....don't chicken out on me.

020.JPG 08.JPG DSC_0007.JPG DSC_0013.JPG 0018.JPG 012.JPG DSC_00233.JPG DSC_00410001.JPG 013.JPG DSC_00010001.JPG

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If you stay at it long enough, there will come a time when you are despised. Thats a fact. I have been doing this too long not to see it. When your work gets very good people will be jealous and will look down their nose at how you post. That happens if you interact with the forum. If you just wish to post a tree and run then you are not open for the words. Guys like MachV and Judy and Brian and Adair, they don't post much anymore and they don't do a lot of interacting.
If you wish in the future to just post a tree and not talk to anyone, then yea I can see your point, but if you want to show a tree to someone to help them improve and open the discussion to fielding questions like "why you gotta be a dick", then yea it gets hard.

I might ask you why you felt the need to come in here and ask these questions, surely they do not move the dialog forward. In fact it's none of your business....is it? Now do you understand?
Like you, each of us has other things in life that require bonsai to take a back seat at times. Frankly, that’s me right now. Although, I also make choices where to spend my time here; if I’m asked, I’ll try to help, but I mostly leave the neophytes to help the newbies.

You can’t control who posts here, and you have no responsibility to ensure everyone knows who’s full of crap. People figure it out pretty quickly without an intervention. Once I realized this, coming here didn’t raise my blood pressure.

In response to your post above, often my progression thread updates generate little discussion, which is ok. Occasionally someone will stumble on one and can watch a tree develop over the last 10-12 years in a matter of minutes. So I keep updating them, but save most of the writing for my own blog.

Some day, I’ll have more time to dedicate to working on trees again, but thes last few years have been “maintenance“ years. Cheers.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
trees regardless of source of origin, that reflect American ideas that are not wretched to look at.

I think that there are many "American ideas". Just like there are many "European styles".

Most of them were based on Japanese norms and interpreted locally, especially when one works with native trees.

I think that in terms of knowledge and techniques, cultivation and design, it's the same, but different. Even in Japan there is a "nouvelle vague", there will always be, for good... or for not so good sometimes. Artistry has no borders, all styles matter :)

Top Bottom