What's going on in Smokes NEW BACKYARD

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you can please give us the updates on some of the projects you started a few years ago. I know you did air layered a couple large trident. Also the few clumps you did

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Looks awesome! I love the outdoor tokonoma. I need one too. I'm glad your life is full and happy.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks great. I still have my trees strewn around the yard and need to get to work on some proper benches.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Night time at the Bunker. I am especially proud of the ceiling of the Tokonoma. I wanted to do something never seen much outside of Japan or national parks.
View attachment 435394View attachment 435395View attachment 435396View attachment 435397

So....what going on now...well taking multiple layers off a large maple in the front yard. All the trees are from the pollarded ends of the limbs and each is about 35 years old. The trees are all about 10 inches across at the layer and all less than a foot tall....true Sumo's.
View attachment 435398View attachment 435399View attachment 435400View attachment 435401View attachment 435402View attachment 435403
Al, why did you trim the branches while having the air layer going? Would more leaves will help with the rooting? These will be some crazy sumo JM in the near future.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
Well...last girlfriend after my Wife died, had a heart attack during Covid and died too. Only 58 years old. Back to online dating, found the love of my life. We meshed from day one and never looked back. We got together in Sept of 2020, and did the dating thing during covid. Not an easy thing to do with a mask on..

By the second week in Dec, I told her I had to go home one Sunday early to water. She said why dont you put your trees here so you dont have to go. I explained to her that that was not an easy thing like pack up trees move them across town, spend the weekend here and then move them all back. She said, " no silly, move your trees here and leave them". I cocked my head and said do you understand what that means? It means that they would be here "permanently"...she said "I know" Hmmm...Al is wondering what he did right. I never had a person latch on so hard so fast. I told her that I would need quite a lot of room, would have to build benches, and all that. She said you have the whole back of the property to do what ever you want. She is on an acre. I had half an acre to do what ever I wanted.

So I made a plan, started doing ground work and built benches. Put in underground water on timers, lots of electricity, full flood lights for evening viewing, water falls, landscaping, the works.

View attachment 435371View attachment 435372View attachment 435373View attachment 435374View attachment 435375View attachment 435376View attachment 435378View attachment 435380
Love the setup. Best of luck with your new partner. The tokonoma looks very nice as do your trees.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al, why did you trim the branches while having the air layer going? Would more leaves will help with the rooting? These will be some crazy sumo JM in the near future.
That is a very good question. I am glad you asked. I will tell you.
First, the pollard were spur pruned at my request of the gardener. He would have cut the knobs off this year because they were getting large and ugly. Not to me!!!

Second, the tree was cleaned up to facilitate the cutting of the cabinet to allow tools to work and make clean cuts.

Third, the tree will build all new leaves from the winter spur prune, and will elongate at a rate equal to the rate of new root growth. It don't grow new roots as quickly with a full head of hair. It needs a new engine up top to spur root growth with the new top growth.

The layers should be started after the spring push has concluded. Spring growth will only make the tree try to bridge the gap with new cambium rather than make roots. The cuts were allowed to dry for two days to make sure cells were dead before wrapping in moss and plastic.

WavyGaby

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Well...last girlfriend after my Wife died, had a heart attack during Covid and died too. Only 58 years old. Back to online dating, found the love of my life. We meshed from day one and never looked back. We got together in Sept of 2020, and did the dating thing during covid. Not an easy thing to do with a mask on..

By the second week in Dec, I told her I had to go home one Sunday early to water. She said why dont you put your trees here so you dont have to go. I explained to her that that was not an easy thing like pack up trees move them across town, spend the weekend here and then move them all back. She said, " no silly, move your trees here and leave them". I cocked my head and said do you understand what that means? It means that they would be here "permanently"...she said "I know" Hmmm...Al is wondering what he did right. I never had a person latch on so hard so fast. I told her that I would need quite a lot of room, would have to build benches, and all that. She said you have the whole back of the property to do what ever you want. She is on an acre. I had half an acre to do what ever I wanted.

So I made a plan, started doing ground work and built benches. Put in underground water on timers, lots of electricity, full flood lights for evening viewing, water falls, landscaping, the works.

View attachment 435371View attachment 435372View attachment 435373View attachment 435374View attachment 435375View attachment 435376View attachment 435378View attachment 435380
Hello,
The garden looks great. I was recently shoping for triangle sun shades with 50% or less filter but I couldn't find the right size and shape that wasn't full shade.
Are these full shade sails or filtered? If they are filtered, could you share where you purchased it?

Thank you

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,
The garden looks great. I was recently shoping for triangle sun shades with 50% or less filter but I couldn't find the right size and shape that wasn't full shade.
Are these full shade sails or filtered? If they are filtered, could you share where you purchased it?

Thank you
full shade

Top Bottom