What's going on with this boxwood?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Drying leaves. Hasn't done this localized before.

doggo.jpg

Seems healthy otherwise.

Trimmed a month ago.

box trim 4-22.jpg

Dangit!

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wouldn't leap to boxwood blight with a few discolored leaves. They look like that when they're a bit sunburned. Your a bit hot and dry for boxwood to be happy, so shade is good. Cut em off and see if anything else happens.

jimib

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m done with boxwoods..... had 3 with blight. Not sure what I did wrong but I won’t get another one. That being said, mine were way worse than that .... not just a few leaves...

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Gonna need a bit more info. Doubt very much this is boxwood blight. sun exposure? soil? watering habits? fertilization? repotted when?

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Gonna need a bit more info. Doubt very much this is boxwood blight. sun exposure? soil? watering habits? fertilization? repotted when?
Repotted as a rescue 2 years ago. 100% pumice. Maybe I should quit the goldfish water. The OTHER trees love it.
It's had similar shit before. Looking at pic looks like same limb.

6 not okay.jpg

I love to relax with nicely shaped blight. 😑

Oh yeah, I also just doused it with the dilute copper I use for mildew on the oak. Any port in a storm. πŸ₯΄

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I wouldn't leap to boxwood blight with a few discolored leaves. They look like that when they're a bit sunburned. Your a bit hot and dry for boxwood to be happy, so shade is good. Cut em off and see if anything else happens.

Yeah it looks similar to what happened to mine when I mistakenly put it out in full sun. Put it back in the shade and now it’s pushing new growth. Not sure if my tree was just weak/acclimated to the shade or if boxwoods in general just don’t tolerate full sun in a bonsai pot.

Do you find that boxwoods need shade when in a bonsai pot?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Full sun in straight pumice probably has something to do with it. I've had boxwoods for 30 years as bonsai. Never had an issue and I am in boxwood blight central. Va. Tech Boxwood Blight task force indicates summer high temps in Va. actually slow infection. Cool wet temps in spring and fall spread it.

Firstflush

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3-4
Could be a bit chlorotic. Also, coming out of winter they will have a orange/yellow tinge. Used to sell them.
As others have said…could also be too much sun too fast.
Kelp emulsion or worm castings for vitamin…worth a try.

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Full sun in straight pumice probably has something to do with it. I've had boxwoods for 30 years as bonsai. Never had an issue and I am in boxwood blight central. Va. Tech Boxwood Blight task force indicates summer high temps in Va. actually slow infection. Cool wet temps in spring and fall spread it.

How much sun do you give your boxwood bonsai?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

West of the Mississippi the sun intensity is much higher due to elevation and low humidity. Out here I would keep boxwood in morning sun. Where I live it I don't have much choice - foggy in the morning, foggy in the afternoon. But my boxwoods thrive.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Morning sun til appx. 11-noon Then the shade comes over it for the rest of the day.
Has been in this location all its life. It greened up a few months ago.
As @Fidur said, a break is possible. πŸ€” Very localized condition. End of one small branch.

BUT......temps are high now.

temps.JPG

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine get full sun until about noon in the summer. Mostly full sun all winter when they're mulched into storage.

All of my boxwood are also in shallow pots, 2 inches max. I have found they do better in those pots than deeper ones that tend to keep roots wet. Boxwood are very shallow rooted when they grow in the ground.

Blight would produce a lot of other stuff, other than localized yellowing, you'd see most of the leaves develop brown and orange circles and drop pretty quickly. You'd also see white fungal patches on wood.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Most of my box are in dappled shade but some get 2-3 hours of direct sun. In the landscape I have them in all exposures.

Top Bottom