What's happening to Frank...again.

Lottie

Sapling
Reaction score
Okay so Frank isn't looking so good...again. I took most advice last time I had troubles. I changed soil to something with more drainage (cat litter) I also fungicided (is that a word?) him for 4 weeks, once a week which it says I can only use it 4 times a year anyway on the fungicide I got (Rose Clear) So what else should I do? He's suddenly loosing LOTS of leaves again, they are going very brown and crispy. Please help me!?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    257.8 KB · Views: 94
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    219.4 KB · Views: 97

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Pondering...why you used the fungicide which clearly stated four times a year...once a week? Usually the fungicide I've used tells one to repeat sooner than four times a year. That you applied it weekly...may pose your problem. Unsure of the product you used...but sounds like it must be strong.

Lottie

Sapling
Reaction score
It was Rose Clear as I said, and it was also many many months ago I used it. And I used it once a week for 4 weeks, as that is what it said to do, or every 2 weeks , can't remember now as I say, it was many many months ago...and I don't have the bottle to hand.
Pondering...why you used the fungicide which clearly stated four times a year...once a week? Usually the fungicide I've used tells one to repeat sooner than four times a year. That you applied it weekly...may pose your problem. Unsure of the product you used...but sounds like it must be strong.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So...he recovered and looked healthy then for awhile? Or never really recovered fully? If it was many many months ago for fungicide. And you seen results of a healthy tree between then and now. I might repeat the treatment. I must have misunderstood your prior post. Have you checked for pests? Indoor trees are known to also need treatment for those as well.

Lottie

Sapling
Reaction score
Yes he recovered since then, he's been very well for a while now, but suddenly started getting very crispy leaves and dropping them just after I gave him a little prune the other day. I can't see any pest? How easy are they to see? lol
So...he recovered and looked healthy then for awhile? Or never really recovered fully? If it was many many months ago for fungicide. And you seen results of a healthy tree between then and now. I might repeat the treatment. I must have misunderstood your prior post. Have you checked for pests? Indoor trees are known to also need treatment for those as well.

Lottie

Sapling
Reaction score
He is inside, by my kitchen window which I have open often so he gets air and it gets direct sunlight in the morning
Remind us please - are you growing "Frank" inside or outside?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Probably a combination of

1) not getting enough light
2) not getting enough air movement
3) too much water

You're going to have a tough time with an elm indoors even in front of a window. I don't grow plants that way so I really cannot offer any other suggestions, other than get it outside if you have a place for it. If not, maybe others can suggest something to try.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Remind us please - are you growing "Frank" inside or outside?
Now that you mention it...Frank does have leaves similar to my own elm. Who much prefers being outdoors. Grows like a mad weed. I allow him to grow out and get shaggy...then cut back. Frank may prefer some natural sunlight and fresh air...these don't really like being a house plant...if it's an elm. I would not put him directly in full sun being he was indoors. But eventually get him in some sun.
image.jpg

Lottie

Sapling
Reaction score
See I did try a few months ago leaving him outside for about 4 days but he went aweful then too, dropping leaves and stuff. So I was too worried to leave him out any longer
Probably a combination of

1) not getting enough light
2) not getting enough air movement
3) too much water

You're going to have a tough time with an elm indoors even in front of a window. I don't grow plants that way so I really cannot offer any other suggestions, other than get it outside if you have a place for it. If not, maybe others can suggest something to try.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
See I did try a few months ago leaving him outside for about 4 days but he went aweful then too, dropping leaves and stuff. So I was too worried to leave him out any longer
Did you put "him" out in full sun? If you want to move a plant from indoors to outdoors, you have to increase the amount of light/sun gradually or you'll burn the leaves and they will drop. So outside into full shade for a few days, then expose to some morning sun, gradually increasing. I have one Chinese elm and it is in full sun all day here, no problems.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Many species of trees will drop leaves when their climate/location changes. But if offered the appropriate location they recover and reward you with a healthy tree.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I see you have MANY threads on this one tree. Please stop making new threads every time you have an issue. By continuing to post in the same thread, people do not have to ask the same questions time and again. If I look back, the "do not grow this indoors" has been discussed at least twice before with regards to this elm. So.. If you put it outside, and you do not see an improvement after 3 days, do not decide it is the wrong advice, but ASK.

Trees do NOT like to be moved around. So moving it outside is pressure to perform. Then, after a few days you move it in again. And again the tree needs to change its ways. As trees need weeks to fully adjust to real changes in placement but respond to stress with a matter of days, you are putting the tree through lots of problems.

Move it outside to a place where it only receives sun for a few hours in the early morning. The rest of the day something like dappled shade somewhere, untill you see lots of foliage again (e.g., all branches have started to grow). Then you can move it to more sun. Mine is in full sun, all day. The trunk of trees can get sunburn and summersun is not a good idea if there are only few leaves. Water enough to keep the soil damp. Besides that, do nothing. Just wait. If the situation gets worse, update. In 2 weeks you should see swelling of buds.

Last edited:

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Lottie Lottie Lottie look at this way, the tree is going to die if you keep it inside - period; end of story; you can't convince the tree otherwise. However, you have it within your power to give it a chance at survival if you move it and keep it outside. The choice is yours.

Top Bottom