Whats happening to my bonsai seedling

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I believe it's realizing it was just a weed seed in the potting mix and is dying to make way for your tree.

Welcome to Crazy!

It's dying cuz it's inside is my second guess.

Sorce

Daniel_UK

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Where are we looking - the centre or the one above? In terms of the one above, if it has dry brittle leaves then there is a problem with water transportation, which could have been that it was transpiring quicker than it could replace the water (too hot and dry), or the substrate could have held too little air so the roots were damaged and then couldn't take up water (soil too moist). Alternatively, if they are the cotyledon leaves then these tend to drop off early anyway.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Cotylendon foliage usually drops after the third set of new leafs. When photosynthetic yield surpasses their starch storage.

I think it's a root issue. Soil too wet or something else that's hurting the root system.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If both seedlings are the same it is a root problem. Look at the color of the stems. They are quite different and the top one just might indicate damping off.
What kind of seed is it?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
If both seedlings are the same it is a root problem. Look at the color of the stems. They are quite different and the top one just might indicate damping off.
What kind of seed is it?
I would agree, damping off looks like the case here. Tale tell sign is when you see the base of the stem starts to rot away while the top it struggling to stay alive.

Jaelfo

Seedling
Reaction score
Where are we looking - the centre or the one above? In terms of the one above, if it has dry brittle leaves then there is a problem with water transportation, which could have been that it was transpiring quicker than it could replace the water (too hot and dry), or the substrate could have held too little air so the roots were damaged and then couldn't take up water (soil too moist). Alternatively, if they are the cotyledon leaves then these tend to drop off early anyway.
Hi, I am on about the above one, the camera was hard to focus! Thank you for your advice

Jaelfo

Seedling
Reaction score
What kind of seed is it?
The seeds were a mix from a kit got from moonpig! It didn't say what seeds just bonsai mix

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Definately a damp off.......try pure grade #2 perlite.....with a wet newspaper or paper towel on top until you see sprouting............
Try fwschumachers black pine for instantly germinating seed if you need to start over.

or what country?
EC55986A-320D-4B59-B65D-DF8EEC108789.jpeg

Jaelfo

Seedling
Reaction score
Definately a damp off.......try pure grade #2 perlite.....with a wet newspaper or paper towel on top until you see sprouting............
Try fwschumachers black pine for instantly germinating seed if you need to start over.

or what country?
View attachment 359603
Thank you for your response! I will definitely try that next time, being a newbie I just followed the instructions that came with the kit! I live in the UK in the South West area. The weather is not great 😕

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
10 speculations already. Surely, this is premature.

Top Bottom