What's happening to my Calliandra aka dwarf powderpuff?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh...I'd read about neagari roots. How some people use a clear plastic cut off soda or water bottle to force it. They're so different, I like it.
If you notice my title...I'm...a bit of a neagari too. 😉

That honestly great you have that availability near you. I've heard of him as well. (D&L)

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I see it now. Everyone has such unusual choices for names I don't usually 'see' what's underneath. I'll start looking.

It is hard to maintain self control with so many amazing options in front of you but I'm trying not to get too crazy. We have more than enough already and the Powderpuff has been my first real scare. I'd hate to loose any of them but I know it happens eventually. We're lucky we can keep ours outdoors most of the year. I don't think I'd be up for the lights etc... We're very into orchids (over 150) and I've always had roses so I don't need more bonsai plants.

If you were to drive to central Fl I'd bet you'd go home with quite the car full. Artisan's is wonderful too. That was our first nursery and I bought three, so most of mine have come from D&L. They're 90 min away from us, but we make the trip. There's also someone who sells them from a local nursery where he works and they're stupid cheap. They're all in bonsai glazed pots and he raised his prices from 30.00 to 35.00. I have several from him too.

The main three are all good and each has something different about it. I can't think of anything negative about any of them. All good quality product and all nice people.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Carol, I'm going to give mine a chance. I honestly have every faith they'll do well. Why do you feel 'down' on the little ones? Are they blooming for you? Are they budding like they should? What's your issue with them?

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Carol, I'm going to give mine a chance. I honestly have every faith they'll do well. Why do you feel 'down' on the little ones? Are they blooming for you? Are they budding like they should? What's your issue with them?
I just got them in the spring and no, they have not bloomed. They just seem to lose leaves, then grow some back, not really thriving. And knowing they will have to come inside in probably a month if I'm lucky, I am concerned with how they will do.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I'm sorry to hear that. They should have been blooming like crazy. Pretty much constantly. I'm sorry this is happening.

It's one thing to have a plant underperform but it sounds like it's not performing at all. Have you considering contacting whoever you bought it from and sharing your experience and frustration with it?

It probably made a fairly dramatic shift from one environment to another but that's long, long past and it should have been doing its thing for some time.

Honestly, I think I'd communicate with the seller and let them know you have X many other trees and this is the one that is not doing well. If I were them I'd want a satisfied customer and they may in fact share something you haven't tried though I suspect that's not the issue since you've been at this a while.

Do you have other tropicals that do well for you? I don't recall what trees you grow Carol. It may be something simple like they're extra heavy feeders...Something. I noticed the nursery we got ours from has a ton of them has them in partial shade part of the day. They're not taking full sun. He has many dozens in a couple of colors. When I go up there again I'll ask if they have any special needs for people growing in the midwest or up north.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
To @Carol 83 @Cadillactaste @penumbra

I sent a note and pics to David at D&L nursery and he sent me this back. Thought I'd share since y'all were good enough to respond to this. Pasting:

It does appear that your Powder Puff dried out one day, in the summer heat sometimes that is all it takes. It will come back, don't try to overcompensate by keeping the soil wet. It still needs to dry down some in-between being watered. If it drops a lot of its leaves it will use less water. Most water a tree uses is for transpiration.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Do you have other tropicals that do well for you? I don't recall what trees you grow Carol.
Yes, many. Bougies, Barbados Cherries, BRT's, Natal plums, etc.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Did you buy your powderpuff from the same vendor? It may be a more difficult plant. We're going to go back to D&L in a few weeks and I'll ask him if he finds people have more issues with them then the other trees. It just may be a delicate one. None of my other trees reacted to a missed watering (we did get rain) but that one had a meltdown, so I'm guessing it is more delicate.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
To @Carol 83 @Cadillactaste @penumbra

I sent a note and pics to David at D&L nursery and he sent me this back. Thought I'd share since y'all were good enough to respond to this. Pasting:

It does appear that your Powder Puff dried out one day, in the summer heat sometimes that is all it takes. It will come back, don't try to overcompensate by keeping the soil wet. It still needs to dry down some in-between being watered. If it drops a lot of its leaves it will use less water. Most water a tree uses is for transpiration.
Thanks for sharing...yes, totally agree. Those damaged superficial leaves may not take up water any longer...so should drop off. Less foliage...means it will not take up as much water...You got this!

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Yep, Wigerts.
You do a good bit of business with them don't you?

I'd give them a call and just have a conversation and ask if there's something more you can do particularly next spring and summer. The answer might be a welcome surprise. Nobody can know everything about a variety

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Thanks for sharing...yes, totally agree. Those damaged superficial leaves may not take up water any longer...so should drop off. Less foliage...means it will not take up as much water...You got this!
Yes, but it was nice to hear from someone who's an expert on them! They're delicate for sure and it's a lesson for me. I'm genuinely fond of the tree.

Btw, I was looking at some websites I hadn't seen before and many have found some beautiful neagari (how do you pronounce it?) serissa plants for sale. They're a good size too. If they still have them are you interested? They're only 25.00. If so PM me.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, but it was nice to hear from someone who's an expert on them! They're delicate for sure and it's a lesson for me. I'm genuinely fond of the tree.

Btw, I was looking at some websites I hadn't seen before and many have found some beautiful neagari (how do you pronounce it?) serissa plants for sale. They're a good size too. If they still have them are you interested? They're only 25.00. If so PM me.
This link has pronunciation sound.

That's kind of you...but...my indoor set up is full for winter. Trust me...I've more than most of neagari trees in my collection than most.

Here's a forsythia in bloom...that I own.
FB_IMG_1629675519407.jpg

Top Bottom