what's happening to my JWP needles??

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So I've never had any problems with this tree until recently. I started noticing the tips of the upper needles turning black and gradually browning the rest of the needles. It's spread to different parts of the tree and others are less effected. At this point the tips are black and brown and it has stopped spreading to other areas of the tree.

I've never done any work on this tree until late june at a local club workshop where, under the close instruction of our club president, I pruned and wired the tree into the shape it's in now. That was my first wiring job and I now have a new found respect towards those who have mastered wiring!

I'm try my best to be mindful of when my trees NEED water, rather than watering by schedule, so I don't think it's a water-related issue. While I'm leaning towards the issue being fungi related (since I jinned the lowest branch without applying anything to preserve the wood), I've applied fungicide to the foliage several times this year to prevent disease.

The close ups are at the apex of the tree. The last photo, an indoor shot, was taken last year after I repotted it in September. It did extremely well this year and senior local club members even commented on how healthy it was at several club meetings.

Your advice is much appreciated!!

T

Attachments

• DSCF1216.jpg
    DSCF1216.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF1214.jpg
    DSCF1214.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 56
  • DSCF1222.jpg
    DSCF1222.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCF1217.JPG
    DSCF1217.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 57

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
If it isn't fungal, it could likely be sun-scorch. It looks like a lot was removed looking at the photo from last year (which isn't a great approach to 5-needle pines). If it was done during the heat of summer and the needles that are browning were under the cover of upper needles previously, they may just not be used to direct sun. It's one, among many reasons to leave this type of work on pines for winter...hopefully the club president tried to discourage this work...

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
What club do you belong to?I think there were other options for styling this tree that would have worked better,i hope your tree recovers,potting in Sept. is not an ideal time in our area,especially white pines.

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The tree has been exposed to full sun for more than 6 hours every day since mid spring. It's been very healthy, stiff deep green blue needles and lots of buds up until 2 weeks ago. The parts that are browning are on random parts of the tree, which is why I'm confused as to why it's happening. If you look closely at the needles the tips of the needles are actually black. They only became brown within the past week.

The tree actually responded very well to the Sept repotting with new root growth vigorous candle extension this spring, which leads me to believe that with proper after-care autumn isn't a bad alternative to spring repotting.

On the bright side, next years buds are well developed. I hope the tree will at least survive the winter so it can have new foliage for next spring.

TheSteve

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
could it be round up (or some other spray) over spray? maybe you or a neighbor on a windy day? Just a shot in the dark but thought I'd ask.

Top Bottom