Whats in a book?

Reaction score
Can anyone reccommend other books that deal so much with artistic vision? Maybe that is mostly to be found on web sites and blogs.

Hi Yamadori,
Two other good resources dealing with artistic design that I found very helpful and recommend in my classes are:
Artistic Foundations of Bonsai Design by Andy Rutledge (a web based book only that can be found at www.andyrutledge.com/book/ )
Bonsai Aesthetics by Francois Jeker (found at your local bonsai shop or at Stone Lantern)
Also, nothing can top studying great bonsai in person at bonsai exhibitions around the world or, at least, exhibition albums like kokufuten, etc.
John Romano

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Can anyone reccommend other books that deal so much with artistic vision? Maybe that is mostly to be found on web sites and blogs.

http://www.amazon.com/Penjing-World...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262280798&sr=1-2

Here are some great articles on the artistic aspect:

http://www.venuscomm.com/articles.html

The above book and links deal with Penjing, but art is universal, and applies to bonsai just as well as to Penjing. For instance, there is the concept of "energy center". Each penjing has an energy center, and this is vital in the success or failure of the composition. Another one is the power of suggestion. Suggesting something is much more powerful than actually showing it. Etc, ect.

I've noticed, that in general, there is much more available literature from China, addressing the artistic aspects of plant growing.

Last edited:

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
It's the other way around. "80 % artistic and 20 % horticulture". Unortunately most never make it over the 20 % horticulture.

Your porbably right.....and sure enough right about that most never make it over the horticulture part. LOL.

hank mazur

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5 A
It's the other way around. "80 % artistic and 20 % horticulture". Unortunately most never make it over the 20 % horticulture.

Walter, thank you for the " Slap on the Head". Teachers need to do that sometimes to get the students attention. It appears that i have been looking for the wrong information! I was concentrating on finding the "Bonsai secret for growing trees in miniature", instead of concentrating on finding out how to care and grow trees in pots. It is like you turned on the light, and said look at the picture, i am watering the whole tree, and not just the soil and roots. It now makes more sense to me. Thanks.:)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't help but slap my forehead when I read "in person is better than a book." As we said in grade school---Duuh...:D

Books have never been a substitute for hands on learning. That's the wrong way to look at it, IMO.

Books provide an opportunity to see from a distance--same as the Internet, but more permanent and portable. You cannot see through an instructor, some of the things that are in many books (even some of the good beginner books). For instance, you can't see what bonsai looked liked 70 years ago in Japan and how it has progressed--not really essential in designing your bonsai, but interesting nevertheless.

You cannot have a world renowned instructor give you a personal class every day in person. You can with books by Naka, Kimura, etc. You cannot get species specific collection instruction from someone who has actual collection experience with dozens of species--try Nick Lenz's book.

There is definitely a lot of chaff along with the wheat with bonsai books--"ego" books have been common for some time in bonsai. Authors have been ostentatiously showing off their "souls" for some time. Those books don't really have any value, as they're primarily showcases for the author's trees with philosophical blather for text. Some books do, however, offer real information that can be used.

If it weren't for books, I wouldn't be doing bonsai. I learned a great deal at first from many of them. "Four Seasons of Bonsai," Naka's books, Peter Chan's and Yoshimura's work, and others all provided insight for me when I was starting out...

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
John and Atilla, Thanks for the recommendations. I will look into them. I appreciate your reply.

E

ethans

What are the reviews of laterans master pine edition

aredsfan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the idea of Stone Lanterns Pine and Juniper books. I know they are old articles, however being new to bonsai I did not have subscriptions to get those articles. I like the idea they are togethar in books instead of trying to find individual issues. I would like to see more. I also like the step by step of Peter Adam's Maple book also. andrew

Top Bottom